Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 1/2 inch spacers or 2 1/2 coils

Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That leaves the caster uncorrected, and the front axle off-center. But yes, adding components is generally better than not adding components.

For the 'look', there are a bunch of picture threads down in JK Show & Tell. Use this search string in google or whatever your browser of choice is, followed by what you want to look for, instead of this sites search box.

site:www.jk-forum.com

site:www.jk-forum.com 2.5" stock tires - gives a list of threads that show 2.5" lifts with stock tires
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So im assuming most of these so called complete lift kits are not truly complete.And a longer front track bar will recenter front axle.but to correct caster requires different length upper/lower control arms?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lol, define 'complete'. Price points might be a better term. Or personal preference.

No one but you can say whether or not you will want caster correction. So a 'complete' kit may or may not include it. And if you do decide that you want to correct the caster, you will then have to decide which form you want, they each have pro's/con's, and quite a large variance in price. Cam bolts, brackets, fixed or adjustable control arms (either upper or lower, no need for both at that height), or a few much more expensive/labor intensive options.

There are people driving around at 2.5" who are perfectly happy with low caster and an offset front axle. It all goes back to knowing what problems you are causing by lifting, which components fix those problems - then deciding if you want to fix them.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to throw my two cents in.... I have a 2015 Rubicon with an AEV 2" spacer lift. I love the lift. The factory ride is unchanged but you get the more aggressive stance and the clearance to run larger tires. I ran the stock rims and tires for a month before purchasing larger tires. I now run Goodyear Duratracs 285/70R17's on the stock rims without wheel spacers. I simply put 2 washers on the drivers and passengers side steering stops and there's no rubbing. I ran a 2" spacer lift in my TJ for seven years. In my opinion spacer lifts are a great mild modification with a lot of value for the money. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're running a 2" to 2.5" lift, don't worry about caster. Honestly the jeep will drive fine, you'll need a few days to get the feel of the new lift but it drives alright (I did this for 2 years without issue with a lot of 75 mph hwy driving). Ensure everything is torqued correctly and proper procedures were followed during the install. You need to plan for the future though and be honest with yourself. If you want to run large tires (35" +) then get an front adjustable track bar and center your axle to avoid clearance issues. You are better off getting a rear track bar bracket with multiple mounting holes. This will help with your rear roll center and will allow the use of a stock track bar while keeping the axle centered. I honestly don't think a high steer kit is needed until you're at about 4" or more. This is why I suggest running an aftermarket front trackbar over a raised trackbar and flipped draglink if you are under 4".

I prefer coils over spacers but if you want something simple than spacers and shock extension will do the job. I am not a fan of aftermarket control arms for a basic JK lift. The JK arms will do the job for most people. Running front lowers will help with an aftermarket shaft. The stock rear arms are fine when running a stock driveshaft and I wouldn't change them unless they are bent and worn out.

Good luck and enjoy the jeep!
Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Coil Lift (Hard Lift) over The Spacer Lift (Soft Lift) any day.. Avoid The "Budget Boost" Do it right the first time.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks alot guys appreciate the input
Old 03-27-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest
Coil Lift (Hard Lift) over The Spacer Lift (Soft Lift) any day.. Avoid The "Budget Boost" Do it right the first time.
Not sure why the spacer lift would be considered "wrong"? The original post was concerned about the driving characteristics of a lift. 2" does not significantly change the suspension geometry and with spacers you maintain the ride that Jeep engineers designed. Coil lifts will change the ride. For better or worse is debatable and probably dependent on the kit used. if you're looking for a mild build for your daily driver spacer lifts are a great solution. Bear in mind that most of the money put into your Jeep will not come back at the end so no sense overpaying for items you don't need.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep801
Not sure why the spacer lift would be considered "wrong"? The original post was concerned about the driving characteristics of a lift. 2" does not significantly change the suspension geometry and with spacers you maintain the ride that Jeep engineers designed. Coil lifts will change the ride. For better or worse is debatable and probably dependent on the kit used. if you're looking for a mild build for your daily driver spacer lifts are a great solution. Bear in mind that most of the money put into your Jeep will not come back at the end so no sense overpaying for items you don't need.
Agreed.. Lession learn, hard lift over soft.. IF one is planning on keeping the jeep for the long haul.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

I did the TF 2.5" Coil lift and have been very happy with it. I am adding 1" spacers when I put on the new front axle just to get back what I lost when I added my bumpers plus a small increase. Now I have a 2007 JKU so I don't have the exhaust issue that you will have but other than that I feel for the better ride and range of articulation the coil lift is the way to go. My ride was for the most part the same as it was when stock. Now you will need to get wheel spacers or swap wheels out for more offset to avoid any rubbing issues with any lift. I am running 33s on 15" wheels and I have not had any rubbing issues.
Just my 2 cents worth

Quick Reply: 2 1/2 inch spacers or 2 1/2 coils