Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" Coil Lift with LCA's - self install or have it installed

Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" Coil Lift with LCA's - self install or have it installed

Was wondering what everyone's thoughts are of installing your lift kits. Do most people install the kits themselves or have them installed by a garage or company? It probably depends on the kit (type, height, etc.) but in regards to a 2.5" coil kit with new lca's, is that something that I should tackle or would I be better off having it installed.

Thanks for the input here...
Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grab a friend and tackle it yourself. It's pretty straight forward and if you can read use a jack and a wrench it's pretty simple. My 2.5TF and LCA's took about 6 or 7 hours and I had no clue what I was doing but glad I took the time. Plus you know exactly how it goes on and that everything was done right (hopefully). Most of the well known kits have great instructions, lots of videos online and write ups.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did my 2.5" Rubicon Express coil Lift myself with the help of a friend. if you have never done one before I would find some one from the forum in your area that has and would be willing to help. I am sure if you ask for help and for the cost of lunch and some beers you will get some willing volunteers. If not then by all means go to a local 4x4 shop in your area and pay them to do so, but check around and find out which shop people around you use the most.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you've never done one, plan on it taking longer then the time the mfg lists, but it is not overly difficult. If you go up to the write-ups area, you will find an index at the top. In the suspension section will be some member how-to's with steps and pics. Doesn't really matter which one you open or use, it will all be pretty much the same steps. Take note of all of the tools you are likely to want/need before you start, so you aren't wasting time running to the autoparts/hardware store.

Also in the writeups area, troubleshooting section, will be a DIY Alignment how-to. Good info to have for afterward.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

I looked in the "groups" and didn't see a group name in my area but I am sure there are a lot other places to look. That would be the best option. I need to put out some feelers for some local experienced guys that can help/teach a new guy...! I called a few diff shops and seems like the pricing is quite steep for what is supposed to be a relatively easy install - plus I want to learn.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't done my full lift yet, just a leveling kit. But I did it in my driveway. No problems at all. When I do the 2.5" lift with LCAs, I still plan on doing it in my driveway, but I already know I will need taller jack stands (or a couple of well placed bricks) and a taller floor jack. I was barely able to droop the front axle enough to get the springs in with the spacers.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz-R5E-NPQg Here's install video for our 2.5" kit to help you get an idea as to what can be involved in the install.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

^^^ TeraFlex videos have so much good info, I just wish Jen would come back! I've done all my own work just from learning from Dennis and crew. It's one reason I give them a lot of my business, great customer support and awesome products. Unfortunately most of their stuff is not USA made :(

Quick Reply: 2.5" Coil Lift with LCA's - self install or have it installed