Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 Coil Lift or TF Budget Boost?

Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Coil Lift or TF Budget Boost?

Hi everyone, going to remove and sell the TF leveling kit to fit 35s, do not off road and this is my DD.

Through what seems like months of research and based on quality but economic options, I am either going with the TF Budget Boost or RK 2.5 Coils with Shock Extenders, any advice as to which?

Each option runs around $350 so that is a wash. From what I gather the BB is fine but the Coils could improve ride quality (especially if I upgrade shocks down the road). I also know the coils will prevent sagging, but I do not plan to add a heavy bumper or winch.

Is that it? Is either a cheaper install? Any preference?

Thanks for the feedback, can't wait to finally do this as I have weighed options for way too long.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the coils if the price is the same. It'll leave you more room to grow if you change your mind down the road.
The install of either kit is basically the same.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

I'm curious why you'd make the sacrifices involved in 35s if you don't wheel it. In any case, I'd ordinarily say if you're going to wheel it and/or add any armor, you definitely want to go with a coil lift.

Having said that, I'm about to contradict myself. If the given price is your budget limit, I'd recommend getting the Teraflex budget boost, then saving for their 2.5-inch coils, which you can add to the kit later for about $200/pair. I'm not sure exactly which RK kit you're looking at, but their systems are pricey enough that I have to think a $350 RK setup is going to be absent some components you'll want or need. Or, if you can stretch your budget to $500, you can pick up a complete Teraflex 2.5-inch kit with shock adapters instead of shocks.

If there's absolutely no chance this rig will see a trail and you won't be adding a winch, there's no harm in sticking with the spring spacers to save money.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 03-04-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always choose coils over a BB especially if the price is the same.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you want an exact amount of lift then do a budget boost lift as most coil lifts will give you 1/2"-1" more then advertised if you have a mostly stock jeep. Throwing a $350 2.5" coil lift and ending up at 3.5" is not going to be a good in terms of ride quality and will cost you much more to correct the flighty steering, bump steer, and the top heavy feel when cornering. If you have a relatively light stock jeep I would look into a coil like the 2" OME no load coil matched with their shocks to keep the lift in the 2"-2.5" range with a comfortable ride on the road. Your suspension and steering will be slightly out of alignment without track bar adjustment but most can live with this at that height. Good luck with the mods.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
I'm curious why you'd make the sacrifices involved in 35s if you don't wheel it. In any case, I'd ordinarily say if you're going to wheel it and/or add any armor, you definitely want to go with a coil lift.

Having said that, I'm about to contradict myself. If the given price is your budget limit, I'd recommend getting the Teraflex budget boost, then saving for their 2.5-inch coils, which you can add to the kit later for about $200/pair. I'm not sure exactly which RK kit you're looking at, but their systems are pricey enough that I have to think a $350 RK setup is going to be absent some components you'll want or need. Or, if you can stretch your budget to $500, you can pick up a complete Teraflex 2.5-inch kit with shock adapters instead of shocks.

If there's absolutely no chance this rig will see a trail and you won't be adding a winch, there's no harm in sticking with the spring spacers to save money.

truth is the 33s need to be replaced, I have had them for 6 years, and would like to go bigger. I have to buy tires regardless and wanted to go bigger. the RK kit is simply their 2.5 coils and shock extenders (purchased separately).
Old 03-04-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you want an exact amount of lift then do a budget boost lift as most coil lifts will give you 1/2"-1" more then advertised if you have a mostly stock jeep. Throwing a $350 2.5" coil lift and ending up at 3.5" is not going to be a good in terms of ride quality and will cost you much more to correct the flighty steering, bump steer, and the top heavy feel when cornering. If you have a relatively light stock jeep I would look into a coil like the 2" OME no load coil matched with their shocks to keep the lift in the 2"-2.5" range with a comfortable ride on the road. Your suspension and steering will be slightly out of alignment without track bar adjustment but most can live with this at that height. Good luck with the mods.
Now THIS is helpful. I wasnt aware that it could measure higher with coils and you are 100% percent right, I do not want to add additional parts and labor to correct it. The jeep is very light (no winch, chopped OEM bumpers), and that is the way it was staying. I originally did 33 trail grapplers to stay stock suspension and ended up adding the leveling kit just for a little more room as I assumed that would be enough - when is it ever enough?! I honestly wasn't familiar with all of these options and what goes into them and if had the chance all over again, would have done this and not the leveling kit to save myself the step. Thank you for your in depth response.

From the leveling kit to the 2.5 BB, how much am I gaining? I assumed an additional 1.5 from what I have now, is that accurate?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

One last question, am I going to get the factory rake back? If I am gaining 2.5 to both front and back, then what? thanks
Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkrx5
One last question, am I going to get the factory rake back? If I am gaining 2.5 to both front and back, then what? thanks
Most lifts if not all remove the rake. I believe you'll get 3" in the front and 2" in the back netting you a 2.5" lift.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

so basically one more inch of what I have now?

Quick Reply: 2.5 Coil Lift or TF Budget Boost?