Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 inch teraflex coil lift with 1inch spacers

Old 07-23-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread pretty much read my mind, i have the exact same setup (tf 2.5 4door lift with bilstein 5100 from northridge on a 2 door) and i originally had a tf levelling kit and was going to do the same as you posted. Looking at more up travel by trimming the fender flares, adding 1" coil spacers then removing the extended bumpstops that came with the kit. Going to get extended brake lines if needed. Coils misaligning worries me a bit too, could you put a limiting strap on the coils? Or would that negate all benefits of doing that?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Coil retainers? I don't know if any are designed to be used with coil spacers, but might be worth looking in to.

Adj trackbars are for centering the axles. For steering correction, I was thinking of high steer/drag link flip/drop pitman. And the caster correction would be control arms/brackets/cams. These can all be added later of course, if needed. Just threw them out as possible considerations.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had coil retainers in the back and the coils came out of the top seat. The TF spacers do help there to keep them aligned. I was going to add coil retainers in the front but decided to go with metalcloak 3 1/3 in coils instead.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

What causes the springs to come out? Is this only a problem with spacers?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Depends on the length of the shock vs the length of the coil + spacer. (and the type of spacer). But, I think a 3.5" coil is likely to extend more before unseating than a 2.5" coil + a solid 1" spacer. And a shock that says 3.5" could be a shock designed for a 3.5-5" lift. (if you look at their website, I think that is what you will find for your 3.5" bilsteins. So right there you have an extra 1.5" of shock length that the coils have to extend to fill - or fall out...)

As noted above, some teraflex spacers come with a long prong to help keep the coil from dropping out. Might be a good option.

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-24-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Yea that's the shock I purchased I'm wondering now if a larger coil spacer would help with that
Old 07-25-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Yep, it would. But then you are right back to the other considerations that have been mentioned. More height = more need for all of the added components. Particularly, 4.5" and stock arms is gonna suck...

Quick Reply: 2.5 inch teraflex coil lift with 1inch spacers