Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" Lift or 1.5" Lift w/ Flat Fenders

Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2.5" Lift or 1.5" Lift w/ Flat Fenders

Yeah, yeah, I know... asked to death...

This Jeep serves as my daily driver and I wheel maybe once or twice a year, and nothing overly hardcore. Just fire trails, creeks, and such. I'm mostly looking to do the lift to fit 35" tires under the JK and achieve a more aggressive look.

On my old Wrangler I ran 35" Goodyear DuraTrac's with a 2.5" TeraFlex lift. I liked the way it rode well enough but with my new build I'm considering going with a shorter lift and swapping to flat fenders. I've been looking at some of the Rough Country kits but I dunno if I can justify $1000+ for a 1.5" lift kit.

So, my options to run 35"s in my mind are to either get a 2.5" lift or go with a 1.5" lift and Hurricane fender flares. Again, budget is a factor and I'm not hardcore enough to spend a grand on fender flares.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:41 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 2-door, I'll sell you my 2.5" AEV kit for dirt cheap assuming it doesn't sell here locally first.....

Rough Country? Forget that. I would just save your $ then.

Keep in mind you can run 35's with no lift and flat fenders....

Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are better off using a budget boost if you are only going to lift 1.5". I have used the AEV 2" kit on a couple jeeps. Easy to install and it includes everything you need to keep it driving good. I will tell you that 35's with a 2" lift will still rub fenders at full flex. Someone makes a factory looking high fender that will clear 35's at stock height. Throw a leveling kit on and you will look good.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
You are better off using a budget boost if you are only going to lift 1.5". I have used the AEV 2" kit on a couple jeeps. Easy to install and it includes everything you need to keep it driving good. I will tell you that 35's with a 2" lift will still rub fenders at full flex. Someone makes a factory looking high fender that will clear 35's at stock height. Throw a leveling kit on and you will look good.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I doubt with the wheeling I do I'll hit full flex all that often. I read a lot of good things about the AEV kit and might just go that route. I just know for a while there the Rough Country kits were all anyone could talk about on here.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

The AEV kit is less than $300. You really can't go wrong.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

With flats you really don't even need a lift for mild trail stuff. Maybe just add a 3/4" spacer to the front coils.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
The AEV kit is less than $300. You really can't go wrong.
So you like the AEV 2" puck lift then?

I was also considering their 2.5" DualSport XT w/ the geometry brackets. I've read reviews where they claim the ride is better than stock. I know I said I couldn't justify $1000 earlier, but that was for a 1.5" lift.

If I got with a 2.5" lift, IIRC I won't need to go with flat fenders to avoid rubbing in most situations. Is that still accurate?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's why I say BB. The most expensive thing you can do is buy parts twice. $300 isn't a huge loss and you can run 35's. A spring lift and all of the components in a good lift kit are by far better. The issue is that it takes a solid $2000 to $3000 to get all of the parts you need to properly run a 3-4" lift. I promise 2.5" will only be a transition lift. It's going to be a waste of $1200-1500. Throw on the spacers, run 35's and see how it goes. Save your money and buy a good lift!

When it comes to lifts I'm more of a franken lift guy. I have an evo enforcer pro (coilovers) with rear metal cloak arms, and some other metal cloak steering components. I buy the best parts I can afford. I thoroughly inspect my vehicle at least 2 times a year and replace worn/damaged parts as necessary. My jeep has never left me stranded.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on "look" you're after. If you're set on the flatfenders, I'm with Dirtman...do the fenders and add a 3/4" spacer up front to level it out.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lowendrider
Depends on "look" you're after. If you're set on the flatfenders, I'm with Dirtman...do the fenders and add a 3/4" spacer up front to level it out.
I agree with that option also. The only issue with flat fenders is when you lift your jeep all you can think about is 37's.😂

Quick Reply: 2.5" Lift or 1.5" Lift w/ Flat Fenders