Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" Lifts - Alternatives & Upgradeability

Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" Lifts - Alternatives & Upgradeability

Hey Guys,

After >2 years of owning my 2010 Rubi, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a coil/shock lift and 35's shortly thereafter. Since this is my DD, and I do maybe 12-15 off road trips per year in So Cal, I'm looking to strike a good balance between cost, ease of installation, and on/off road handling...

The 2.5" decision is mainly driven by the fact that I don't want to have to shell out $600+ extra for DS. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, as I do hear of people who do 3.5 or 4" lifts and keep the stock DS, and my understanding is that it is not a good idea. So, 2.5" is what I'm sticking to (and spacers are out of the question -- I'm set on a coil/shock upgrade).

...which of course leads me to consider the AEV 2.5" kit. I'm not going to rehash everything I've read (good and bad) about all of their JK kits, but in the sub-3" space, I think this is a good kit that will serve my needs (basic/intermediate offroading - rut crossing, overlanding, off camber stuff, and some rocks, nothing crazy). Overall, I've heard no complaints from people who actually own the kit, and I think it's a pretty good value, despite what some anti-AEV'ers say: $900 for the kit, less the cost of the Bilstein shocks ($350) is $550, which is more or less in line with most 2-3" budget lifts (sans shocks) that are out there.

As for long term plans, in a few years, I'm hoping this will no longer be my DD, and then I can stop babying my JK and really get more serious about the sport. If and when that day comes, I will most likely look at going all out with a long-arm kit.

Which brings me to the question of upgradeability: My impression is that no matter whose kit I buy (RK included), there are never going to be any significant shared components between a 2.5" coil lift and, say, a 4" long arm kit. For that reason, my plan is to restart from the ground up (suspensionwise) if/when that day comes.

Plus, in a few years when that day comes, I figure a popular all-in-one kit with from a brand like AEV will be easy to sell in the used market, and will probably retain its value pretty well.

Can some of the more experienced guys here chime in on my logic here (esp on the upgradeability issues)? I'm just looking for some constructive criticism before I make a final decision. I've heard nothing but good things on this kit, but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid either, though from all angles it looks to me like a good value and that it will fit my needs for the time being.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?

Quick Reply: 2.5" Lifts - Alternatives & Upgradeability