Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" RK lift and 35" Tires

Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" RK lift and 35" Tires

Hey everyone, I'm new here and recently started building my jeep (2011 JKU Sport 6-speed 3.73) for this coming spring. I plan mostly on running off road trails in N GA and camping out.

Here is a list of mods that I have currently done or am in the process of doing:

-Front bumper: Maximum Jeep Trailblazer HD2
-Winch: Smittybilt XRC 9500 w/ steel cable
-20" Light bar
-LED head and tail lights
-Rear bumper: Maximum Jeep rear bumper w/ tire carrier (in progress, issue mounting. Rear ended back in July, rear crossmember may have been welded back too far back)
-Rugged Ridge Exo top (in progess, waiting for a sunny, warm weekend to install)

Regarding a lift and tires here is what I have planned:

-Northridge RK 2.5" lift. Debating whether to get the Flex or Max travel package. I don't really plan on further suspension modification, so I'm not sure whether the rear LCAs and Brake lines are worth it.

-35"x12.5"x15 Cooper Discoverer STT mounted on 15x8 MB Razor Wheels (Probably going to pull the trigger on these soon. DTD President's Day sale ends Mon.)

After that I'm planing on CA skids, Evap Skid, and an Oil Pan Skid. Then reinforcing the front axle, changing gears, and probably adding a rear locker.

My biggest questions are regarding the Flex vs Max Travel, and whether those tires will mount and balance on those wheels. But also which order I should do the skids and driveline modifications.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HokieJeeper15; 02-10-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieJeeper15
Hey everyone, I'm new here and recently started building my jeep (2011 JKU Sport 6-speed 3.73) for this coming spring. I plan mostly on running off road trails in N GA and camping out.

Here is a list of mods that I have currently done or am in the process of doing:

-Front bumper: Maximum Jeep Trailblazer HD2
-Winch: Smittybilt XRC 9500 w/ steel cable
-20" Light bar
-LED head and tail lights
-Rear bumper: Maximum Jeep rear bumper w/ tire carrier (in progress, issue mounting. Rear ended back in July, rear crossmember may have been welded back too far back)
-Rugged Ridge Exo top (in progess, waiting for a sunny, warm weekend to install)

Regarding a lift and tires here is what I have planned:

-Northridge RK 2.5" lift. Debating whether to get the Flex or Max travel package. I don't really plan on further suspension modification, so I'm not sure whether the rear LCAs and Brake lines are worth it.

-35"x12.5"x15 Cooper Discoverer STT mounted on 15x8 MB Razor Wheels (Probably going to pull the trigger on these soon. DTD President's Day sale ends Mon.)

After that I'm planing on CA skids, Evap Skid, and an Oil Pan Skid. Then reinforcing the front axle, changing gears, and probably adding a rear locker.

My biggest questions are regarding the Flex vs Max Travel, and whether those tires will mount and balance on those wheels. But also which order I should do the skids and driveline modifications.

Thanks in advance!
You may have clearance issues on those wheels. 15" wheels, depending on MFG, have clearance issues often with the caliper.

We typically recommend going flex initially. If you plan on doing flat fender in the future, we recommend upgrading then to the rear lower and upper arms. That will push the rear axle back and re-center the axle in the, new larger, wheel well opening.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
You may have clearance issues on those wheels. 15" wheels, depending on MFG, have clearance issues often with the caliper.

We typically recommend going flex initially. If you plan on doing flat fender in the future, we recommend upgrading then to the rear lower and upper arms. That will push the rear axle back and re-center the axle in the, new larger, wheel well opening.
I may cut the fenders eventually depending on clearance while flexing. I appreciate the feedback. To my understanding, if I got the max travel and then wanted to get new upper rear arms, I would have to get new lower arms too, correct?

I've seen a few threads from the MFG and others stating that these wheels clear the calipers, I think the fact that they're alloy vs steel helps with clearance issues.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	12705493_10103401478466849_87034872767869921_n.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	637188

Pretty much my same setup with the addition of adjustable arms, 17's and 2 less doors! Be sure to post up some pictures when you get everything dialed in.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by iJeremy
Attachment 637188

Pretty much my same setup with the addition of adjustable arms, 17's and 2 less doors! Be sure to post up some pictures when you get everything dialed in.
Lookin good! I would go 17's, but the price of tires for 15's is just too tempting. I'll definitely post some pics once I've got it all set up! This modding thing has been taking up 110% of my off time, and it's still going slow (mostly because I hate dealing with electrical ).
Old 02-10-2016, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Also, do I need to get coil correction wedges and/or rear brake line relocation brackets with the flex kit?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieJeeper15
Also, do I need to get coil correction wedges and/or rear brake line relocation brackets with the flex kit?
does not hurt. I use the wedges, I know some say they are a waste but I dont think so and they are only $25 or and do help a bit. I used brake line relocation brackets but am using stock brake lines and have plenty of slack at full droop.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put on a 2.5 x-factor on my 2 door last weekend. 100 yds out of the shop and I wanted new brakes, just ordered them today actually. I would seriously consider 17s, it will be much easier to find brake upgrades. I believe the cost of replacing pads and rotors would eat up the cost of cheaper tires otherwise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12671832_10153942867849294_5785209838723629289_o.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	567.2 KB
ID:	637387

Quick Reply: 2.5" RK lift and 35" Tires