Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Lift question

Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
With 2012+ JK you can run a 2.5" kit without having to change the exhaust or driveshaft, at least with a TeraFlex kit. Now if you run a 2.5" with longer 3-4" shocks, then you will need to install exhaust spacers (#2610000 TeraFlex) and change the front driveshaft out. Unless you install front limiting straps then you will only need the exhaust spacers.
So what if you ran a 2.5" spring lift with shocks? Will you still need the exhaust spacers?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 2012+ JK you can run a 2.5" kit without having to change the exhaust or driveshaft, at least with a TeraFlex kit. Now if you run a 2.5" with longer 3-4" shocks, then you will need to install exhaust spacers (#2610000 TeraFlex) and change the front driveshaft out. Unless you install front limiting straps then you will only need the exhaust spacers.
Thank you teraflex's for this response. This is what I was looking for. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012JWSU
So what if you ran a 2.5" spring lift with shocks? Will you still need the exhaust spacers?
With 2.5" shocks no, with longer 3-4" shocks yes plus add a front drive shaft.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2012JWSU
It all comes down to the extended length of the shocks. At a certain point of axle droop, the driveshaft will contact the exhaust crossover. It takes quite a bit of droop. In addition, it is not all that likely that under normal use that contact would occur as usually one wheel is stuff while the other is extended.

So, to be clear, there are two potential issues with the stock driveshaft.

1. Lift height increases the operating angle under normal driving. The increased angle results in accelerated wear on the joint (rzeppa joint to be specific). Lots of people have driven tons of trouble free miles with 3.5"-4" lifts. Some are not so lucky, but either way, it is fine until the joint starts to fail and then you will want to replace it sooner than later, but not a huge deal.

2. Extended shock length. This is the most misunderstood topic with lift kits. I can sell you a 3" lift that does not increase suspension travel. Therefore, no concerns offroad. As you increase the extended length of the front shocks, the axle can droop further, eventually contacting the exhaust. So, it is not lift height in this case, but extended shock length/axle droop.

The easy solution is to run down to your local exhaust shop and have them add a couple inches to each side of the exhaust between the cats and the crossover. Don't use the crap exhaust spacers the lift companies like to sell. Aside from potential exhaust leaks, they also cause the crossover to drop down, which reduces ground clearance and interferes with some aftermarket skid plates. Also, they really are no cheaper than getting it done right at an exhaust shop.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

With 2.5" shocks no, with longer 3-4" shocks yes plus add a front drive shaft.
This is the type of info that creates confusion. What exactly is a 3"-4" shock? The front shocks I ran last year were 14" of travel and I had 2.5" of lift. The shocks I am running this year have 16" of travel and I have 4" of lift. So, are you saying that if I buy your 3"-4" shocks I will have 16" of shock travel? Obviously, I know the answer, but you see my point.

Why the reluctance to provide the information that people need and can actually use? I had to Google and go digging through your large brochure before finally finding your compressed and extended shock lengths - and even then it was not user friendly.

You could say "On 2012+ JKs, the maximum shock extension with a stock driveshaft is xx", and with an aftermarket it is xx."" And then follow up with the dimensions of your shocks. I could create a nice little chart for you in about 10 minutes if you send me the info.

I get that you want to create a bit of a mystery so that customers feel inclined to buy shocks from you, but on the public forums it would be more appropriate to just be straight forward about it. Same with your coils. I don't think I have ever seen figures for compressed and extended lengths on your coils
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
This is the type of info that creates confusion. What exactly is a 3"-4" shock? The front shocks I ran last year were 14" of travel and I had 2.5" of lift. The shocks I am running this year have 16" of travel and I have 4" of lift. So, are you saying that if I buy your 3"-4" shocks I will have 16" of shock travel? Obviously, I know the answer, but you see my point. Why the reluctance to provide the information that people need and can actually use? I had to Google and go digging through your large brochure before finally finding your compressed and extended shock lengths - and even then it was not user friendly. You could say "On 2012+ JKs, the maximum shock extension with a stock driveshaft is xx", and with an aftermarket it is xx."" And then follow up with the dimensions of your shocks. I could create a nice little chart for you in about 10 minutes if you send me the info. I get that you want to create a bit of a mystery so that customers feel inclined to buy shocks from you, but on the public forums it would be more appropriate to just be straight forward about it. Same with your coils. I don't think I have ever seen figures for compressed and extended lengths on your coils
You must be an engineer.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RubiKing
You must be an engineer.
Not even close. Although, I guess I become one in my garage on the weekends.

I made the above point because too many companies like to list shocks by lift height. The joke is that they are all different dimensions. Why not just give the dimensions so people don't have to guess or post the question on forums (which happens all the time). Plus, it just plain confuses people - although, most people don't realize they understand something incorrectly.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Jedi

Not even close. Although, I guess I become one in my garage on the weekends.

I made the above point because too many companies like to list shocks by lift height. The joke is that they are all different dimensions. Why not just give the dimensions so people don't have to guess or post the question on forums (which happens all the time). Plus, it just plain confuses people - although, most people don't realize they understand something incorrectly.
Agreed, it never takes into account tire size/fenders all affecting bump stop which would affect shocks length aswell as you know.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

This is the type of info that creates confusion. What exactly is a 3"-4" shock? The front shocks I ran last year were 14" of travel and I had 2.5" of lift. The shocks I am running this year have 16" of travel and I have 4" of lift. So, are you saying that if I buy your 3"-4" shocks I will have 16" of shock travel? Obviously, I know the answer, but you see my point.

Why the reluctance to provide the information that people need and can actually use? I had to Google and go digging through your large brochure before finally finding your compressed and extended shock lengths - and even then it was not user friendly.

You could say "On 2012+ JKs, the maximum shock extension with a stock driveshaft is xx", and with an aftermarket it is xx."" And then follow up with the dimensions of your shocks. I could create a nice little chart for you in about 10 minutes if you send me the info.

I get that you want to create a bit of a mystery so that customers feel inclined to buy shocks from you, but on the public forums it would be more appropriate to just be straight forward about it. Same with your coils. I don't think I have ever seen figures for compressed and extended lengths on your coils
TeraFlex Shock Specs:
2.5" fronts 24.5" ext 9.09" travel 15.41" compressed
2.5" rears 24.99" ext 9.36" travel 15.63" compressed
3"-4" fronts 26.880" ext 10.38" travel 16.50" compressed
3"-4" rears 28.08" ext 10.84" travel 17.25" compressed
6"+ fronts 30.92" ext 12.37" travel 18.55" compressed
6"+ rears 32.09" ext 12.84 travel 19.25" compressed
Old 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

TeraFlex Shock Specs: 2.5" fronts 24.5" ext 9.09" travel 15.41" compressed 2.5" rears 24.99" ext 9.36" travel 15.63" compressed 3"-4" fronts 26.880" ext 10.38" travel 16.50" compressed 3"-4" rears 28.08" ext 10.84" travel 17.25" compressed 6"+ fronts 30.92" ext 12.37" travel 18.55" compressed 6"+ rears 32.09" ext 12.84 travel 19.25" compressed
Perfect. Can we get the coil specs too?

Quick Reply: 2015 Lift question