Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5" Lift: AEV vs Rubicon Express

Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5" Lift: AEV vs Rubicon Express

Have a 2009 JK Unlimited with 35" BFG KM2's and a 1.5" Coil Spring lift which I hate. Finally looking to upgrade to a 3.5" kit. Mostly a daily driver. Interested in the AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension System and the Rubicon Express 3.5" Standard Suspension System. Haven't been able to decide between the two for a number of months now. For the most part, all the roading I do is light trails, so my road ride is the main concern. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Was also wondering if anyone with the AEV 3.5" SC kit if anyone has swapped out their brackets for new control arms?

What shocks are good with the Rubicon Express kit?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default One more thing...

One more question...

Is ProComp really THAT bad?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the rubicon express 3.5 super flex kit. Rides nice and flexes great. I run fox resivor shocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3017813523.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	317298  
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

In all honestly, if your just looking for a "lift", most of the suspension companies make great products to do just that.

If you are looking for a kit which increases ground clearance and adds flex a well as performance, your going to want to do your home work. The performance gain drives the price up due to the performance parts used to build the kit.

Its a very tough decision that ultimately only you can make. When I was lift shopping I was looking for solid parts, the ability to upgrade and for a kit that best fit my needs. In the end, I went with a different kit than any you mentioned.

I also live in the rocky mountains and wheel my jeep pretty hard.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running the AEV 3.5 lift and love it, it rides better than when it was stock. The coil springs on the AEV lift are progressive rate springs which gives you a smoother and more comfortable ride.

I haven't bohtered to change out the brakets on my lift and for longer arms because I haven't seen the need to.

I used to run the Rancho shock for the longest time and have liked them. However the Bilsten shocks that came with my AEV lift are great and I love them.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the AEV 3.5 Dual-sport RS its great

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4213281923.jpg
Views:	14216
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	317416
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got aev 3.5 and love it. It doesnt come with swaybar disconnects though
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120515_213036.jpg
Views:	2499
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	317423  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finfreeze
In all honestly, if your just looking for a "lift", most of the suspension companies make great products to do just that.

If you are looking for a kit which increases ground clearance and adds flex a well as performance, your going to want to do your home work. The performance gain drives the price up due to the performance parts used to build the kit.

Its a very tough decision that ultimately only you can make. When I was lift shopping I was looking for solid parts, the ability to upgrade and for a kit that best fit my needs. In the end, I went with a different kit than any you mentioned.

I also live in the rocky mountains and wheel my jeep pretty hard.
Agreed. Any lift is good enough for mall crawling. If you want good, solid Offroad performance, go with Teraflex, Rock Krawler, or EVO.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone, unfortunately still can't decide!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

From all the research that I have done the 2 lifts that seem to win for the best ride on the road are the AEV and the Rock Krawler. I have not read much about the rancho. If your heart is set on one of those 2 lifts I would go with the AEV, but I would also recommend looking into the rock krawler. I've decided i'm going with the RK 2.5 Max Pro. It's aluminum so light, but won't rust at all and everybody i've talked to about it says it has amazing ride on the road, and fantastic performance off-road.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 3.5" Lift: AEV vs Rubicon Express