Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5" Lift: AEV vs Rubicon Express

Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

honestly, if you're considering the aev kit, you really should be looking at the rancho sport kit as it is designed similarly, built way better and costs a lot less especially if you take advantage of the rebates they often have. the aev kit works fine but is just way overpriced for what little you really get.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed the AEV 3.5 on my 09 jku rubi and love it, straight forward install, and awesome ride...just my opinion!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blark
One more question...

Is ProComp really THAT bad?
I don't know about any of the JK kits, but I had their 5" coil spring conversion on my YJ and it was great. They also stand behind their products. I have heard good things about most of them, however, I will agree with Way AEV is overpriced for what you get.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just did mine

I just did my AEV lift. I love it, it is a great ride! It's my DD, i have an incredibly smooth ride. I'm running 35 KM2 as well handles great the High steer kit and with the OME damper and Mopar drag link are top notch. Actually a few days after I did the install I had to take some evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision on my way to work (apparently my large white Jeep was hard to spot for the person in the little VW). Had I still been running mu 2.5" spacer lift I probably would have rolled my Jeep. As far as I am concerned it has already paid for itself.
I don't know much about the Rancho lift, I have a ton of respect for WOL's opinion he's prob forgotten more about jeeps than I know, but I can tell you that everyone (who's opinion I trust) I spoke to before I went out and bought a kit told me the same thing...."When you buy a lift you get what you pay for" I paid for top notch engineering, and products, and I don't feel like I overpaid at all. Here's a link to the write up I with some pics of my lift. Good luck

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...v-lift-234512/
Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
honestly, if you're considering the aev kit, you really should be looking at the rancho sport kit as it is designed similarly, built way better and costs a lot less especially if you take advantage of the rebates they often have. the aev kit works fine but is just way overpriced for what little you really get.
Agree completely, but I'm also torn between the AEV 3.5, RK 3.5 and TF 3" kits. Honestly my biggest concern is safety for my kids and on road performance as I live in Washington DC. My offroading consists of camping and trails with family.

Also, the AEV kit interests me b/c I already have their F/R bumpers and their springs are setup for the additional weight with little sag. I don't like all the brackets for the price but I'm hard pressed to find a similar lift that supposedly has great on road manners and progressive rate springs to handle load.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddhowel
Agree completely, but I'm also torn between the AEV 3.5, RK 3.5 and TF 3" kits. Honestly my biggest concern is safety for my kids and on road performance as I live in Washington DC. My offroading consists of camping and trails with family.

Also, the AEV kit interests me b/c I already have their F/R bumpers and their springs are setup for the additional weight with little sag. I don't like all the brackets for the price but I'm hard pressed to find a similar lift that supposedly has great on road manners and progressive rate springs to handle load.
Dude, I think you are answering it for yourselve.....get the AEV and call it a day. Don't over think it.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the 4.5 RE LA.

I've been running it since '09.

Put some moderate sized BFG T/A KO's (E-Load) and you can jump all the curbs you want to get around that traffic. Great "high speed" rigidity in the suspension as well.

I am always lighting up my ESP.

And when she gets old and grey you can run 40's if you want.

Quick Reply: 3.5" Lift: AEV vs Rubicon Express