Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5 Lift Control Arms Question

Old 04-20-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n3tfury

I'm not following you here...

If someone gets the "basics" of the full kit that they want (springs, 1 set of CA's, etc), and add the rest of the CA's later, how exactly does that suck?
Exactly. Nothing wrong with buying in pieces as long as you have and end game in mind.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone gets the "basics" of the full kit that they want (springs, 1 set of CA's, etc), and add the rest of the CA's later, how exactly does that suck?
Shipping costs add up if you don't get free shipping then you're always under the jeep to put a pice on here, put a piece on there instead of knocking it all out at once.

I'd save for the full kit. But this only because I bought a a basic bds kit and now doing the full turn around to the 3.5 X factor. Wish I did it right the first time.

Also keep in mind, with the RK arms, they two different sets of rear LCAs. One set is compatible with their uppers. One set is not. Get ahold of Marcus at rivercityoffroad.com and he'll get ya set up properly
Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattyk
Shipping costs add up if you don't get free shipping then you're always under the jeep to put a pice on here, put a piece on there instead of knocking it all out at once. I'd save for the full kit. But this only because I bought a a basic bds kit and now doing the full turn around to the 3.5 X factor. Wish I did it right the first time. Also keep in mind, with the RK arms, they two different sets of rear LCAs. One set is compatible with their uppers. One set is not. Get ahold of Marcus at rivercityoffroad.com and he'll get ya set up properly
There's no where I'd rather be then working on my Jeep...other than riding trails.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did i say it sucks for you or any other member here? No i said it sucked for me. My old truck went from 6,9,8,11, to 17 inches of lift piecing things together here and there. I am not rich and do not have all the time in the world so thats why i'm waiting to buy the complete kit instead of a basic and then adding stuff later. Read below post as it explains it well.

Shipping costs add up if you don't get free shipping then you're always under the jeep to put a pice on here, put a piece on there instead of knocking it all out at once.

I'd save for the full kit. But this only because I bought a a basic bds kit and now doing the full turn around to the 3.5 X factor. Wish I did it right the first time.

Also keep in mind, with the RK arms, they two different sets of rear LCAs. One set is compatible with their uppers. One set is not. Get ahold of Marcus at rivercityoffroad.com and he'll get ya set up properly
Exactly thank you.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FT SRS 3". It came with all lowers and no uppers and it is perfectly well off road and on. However, noting you want to push the axles out, get the rear up uppers and front lowers. Reason being is the geometry. I also have extended brake line brackets (came with the kit and work fine), front sway bar links (relocated fronts to rear) and I ordered the shocks super eatery. Fox 2.0's for 2-4" lift. The only thing my lift will cost me additional will be the uppers which are easy to change and I will still get an alignment after. Free shipping if you catch the deals at the right time. Essentially, not costing any more or compromising. Had I known the rear ca would bring the axle closer at the time for correct drive shaft alignment, I would have asked for the uppers instead. Not an issue as I plan on doing all CA's anyway. Cheers!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I have the FT SRS 3". It came with all lowers and no uppers and it is perfectly well off road and on. However, noting you want to push the axles out, get the rear up uppers and front lowers. Reason being is the geometry. I also have extended brake line brackets (came with the kit and work fine), front sway bar links (relocated fronts to rear) and I ordered the shocks super eatery. Fox 2.0's for 2-4" lift. The only thing my lift will cost me additional will be the uppers which are easy to change and I will still get an alignment after. Free shipping if you catch the deals at the right time. Essentially, not costing any more or compromising. Had I known the rear ca would bring the axle closer at the time for correct drive shaft alignment, I would have asked for the uppers instead. Not an issue as I plan on doing all CA's anyway. Cheers!
Thanks! I guess I'm confused about how the control arms work together. Could someone explain this a little. Also what do the AEV geo brackets do.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Honestabel
Thanks! I guess I'm confused about how the control arms work together. Could someone explain this a little. Also what do the AEV geo brackets do.
One set of control arms will 'tilt' the top or bottom of the housing.
Front Uppers:
Lengthen - tilts top of housings forward - raises pinion / lowers caster
Shorten - tilts top backward - lowers pinion / raises caster
Front Lowers:
Lengthen - tilts bottom of housing forward - lowers pinion / raises caster
Shorten - tilts bottom backward - raises pinion / lowers caster

Adding the second set lets you move the entire housing forward/backward in the wheel well, as well as giving more adjustability for fine tuning caster/pinion.

As you lift higher, both axles are pulled toward the center of your jeep, reducing overall wheel base, and both pinions tilt up, reducing the caster. As noted above, caster and pinion are inversely affected. When caster is raised, the pinion is automatically lowered. On taller lifts, this can cause issues, since to get good caster, you can put the pinion down far enough to cause driveline vibrations. (which can wear out joints and has been known to explode transfer cases)

The brackets bolt to where the front control arms attach to the frame, then have some holes further down and forward for the arms to bolt to. This has the effect of tilting the housing to raise caster, (and moving the housing a bit forward to regain wheelbase??), like adj arms would do. It also lowers the frame end of the arms, making the arms more parallel to the frame/ground, which gives better 'onroad' performance than having steeper angles.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
One set of control arms will 'tilt' the top or bottom of the housing. Front Uppers: Lengthen - tilts top of housings forward - raises pinion / lowers caster Shorten - tilts top backward - lowers pinion / raises caster Front Lowers: Lengthen - tilts bottom of housing forward - lowers pinion / raises caster Shorten - tilts bottom backward - raises pinion / lowers caster Adding the second set lets you move the entire housing forward/backward in the wheel well, as well as giving more adjustability for fine tuning caster/pinion. As you lift higher, both axles are pulled toward the center of your jeep, reducing overall wheel base, and both pinions tilt up, reducing the caster. As noted above, caster and pinion are inversely affected. When caster is raised, the pinion is automatically lowered. On taller lifts, this can cause issues, since to get good caster, you can put the pinion down far enough to cause driveline vibrations. (which can wear out joints and has been known to explode transfer cases) The brackets bolt to where the front control arms attach to the frame, then have some holes further down and forward for the arms to bolt to. This has the effect of tilting the housing to raise caster, (and moving the housing a bit forward to regain wheelbase??), like adj arms would do. It also lowers the frame end of the arms, making the arms more parallel to the frame/ground, which gives better 'onroad' performance than having steeper angles.
Thanks man! You made that really easy to understand. I've read a lot of threads on it. Just never explained in a way my simple mind could understand.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most every dealer ships for free and certainly most of the sponsors on this site.

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
I am not rich and do not have all the time in the world...
Me neither.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

What bump stop should I use with the 3.5 coils and 37s?

Quick Reply: 3.5 Lift Control Arms Question