Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.6 owners only!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock gears on 33" mud country's. My pentastar still whips though haha. I'm curious as to what gearing I could get that would give me more power without too huge of an MPG hit. Thinking about 35" all terrains pretty soon.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WINGIT
This is yet another gearing thread. But I think I want something different. I want info on your rig. Even if you are still running stock gears and tires I want to hear from you. If you have upgraded I want to hear from you also. This is what I am looking for.......

1 - What gear ratio are you running? 4 10

2 - What tire size & Brand are you running?Nitto Trail Grappler 37x12.50x17

3 - At 70 mph what RPM is your engine turning? 2300ish

4 - Are you using the AEV PROCAL or Superchips Flashpaq?

5 - On the road what is your opinion of the performance? very satisfied. Had an 07 unlimited with 3.8 two totally different worlds

6 - Off road what is your opinion of the performance? excellent.

7 - If your fairy god mother came to you and said you will get any tire/gear package you want would you change and to what?
40 inch tires
Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is yet another gearing thread. But I think I want something different. I want info on your rig. Even if you are still running stock gears and tires I want to hear from you. If you have upgraded I want to hear from you also. This is what I am looking for.......

1 - What gear ratio are you running?

4:56 6spd

2 - What tire size & Brand are you running?

Goodyear Duratrac 35's

3 - At 70 mph what RPM is your engine turning?

Superchip

5 - On the road what is your opinion of the performance?

Quick shifting from 1st to 3rd, but great around town

6 - Off road what is your opinion of the performance?

Steep enough gearing to get out of trouble

7 - If your fairy god mother came to you and said you will get any tire/gear package you want would you change and to what?
I like it the way it is, but would add another TrueTrac in the front
Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 - 4.10s (soon to go 5.13s)
2 - 37x1250 Goodyear MTR/K
3 - I don't know for sure but it is not high enough in the power-band to take highway hills without dropping to 5th.
4 - Flashpaq
5 - Tolerable but not ideal. The biggest issue is 55-60 on country roads. I can no longer use 6th
6 - Okay with exception to crawling. I have a manual and the gearing requires far more clutch work then I would like. (I also have a Rubicon with the 4:1 TC)
7 - I'd likely keep my tires, but I REALLY want better gears and plan to get 5.13s soon.

Considerations you aren't looking at are if the have a 6-spd VS Auto, and Rubicon 4:1 TC VS other 2.71:1. These will cause drastically different opinions.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

JKU auto

1. stock 3.21s

2. 33" duratrecs

3.2300-2500 rpm

4. none

5. Not too much different than stock

6. No complaints (I don't do anything to crazy, mainly old logging trails)

7. 35"s and 4.56
Old 07-30-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is yet another gearing thread. But I think I want something different. I want info on your rig. Even if you are still running stock gears and tires I want to hear from you. If you have upgraded I want to hear from you also. This is what I am looking for....... 1 - What gear ratio are you running? 2 - What tire size & Brand are you running? 3 - At 70 mph what RPM is your engine turning? 4 - Are you using the AEV PROCAL or Superchips Flashpaq? 5 - On the road what is your opinion of the performance? 6 - Off road what is your opinion of the performance? 7 - If your fairy god mother came to you and said you will get any tire/gear package you want would you change and to what?
2014 jkur. 6speed

1 4.10
2 37"km2
3 2150rpm
4 flashcal
5 Good. Like the feeling of the taller gears. Don't use 6th as much though.
6. Still good. Rubi transfer case still keeps things low
7. I'll try nitto tg's next. Might go to 4.88
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

1) 3.73
2) 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's
3) ~2500 if I remember right
4) AEV Procal
5) I don't think the tires could get much better. Gearing though I would like to change. I've used 6th gear once so far at about 70mph and I had no power and it just slowed down
6) Haven't been off road with the new tires yet, not trying to break my axles or bend the Cs. I have been on the beach though and I would say it outperformed most of the other cars there, even with my tires still at 35 psi
7) Definitely those 54" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, those are sweet! I would ask for the biggest gear size possible for a good crawl ratio and just dedicate it to off roading at that point. Would be nice if it also came with fully built d60 front and d80 rear and some custom drive shafts, but that's too much to ask for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

1 - 4:10 stock rubicon setup for 2014, so 73:1 in 4 lo auto transmission
2 - the good year mud terrains it came with, I believe they are 33s
3 - well i have a lead foot so i get to 70 in the 5-6k rpm range, then i set the cruise and it holds speed at 1800-2200 rpm depending on head/tail wind
4 - its sitting stock right now, havent flashed anything
5 - with a lead foot im still averaging about 18 mpg, its a very nice ride, even with knobby tires
6 - havent gotten it stuck yet, will likely air down a bit for this winter since we get alot of snow and ice and its hilly and a mix of gravel/paved/offroad
7 - if i could have anything i wanted, ild take a hellcat hemi with the 8 speed auto and 60 inch monster truck setup the last thing every prius i ever saw would see would be my huge tires rolling over them....
Old 07-31-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is yet another gearing thread. But I think I want something different. I want info on your rig. Even if you are still running stock gears and tires I want to hear from you. If you have upgraded I want to hear from you also. This is what I am looking for....... 1 - What gear ratio are you running? 2 - What tire size & Brand are you running? 3 - At 70 mph what RPM is your engine turning? 4 - Are you using the AEV PROCAL or Superchips Flashpaq? 5 - On the road what is your opinion of the performance? 6 - Off road what is your opinion of the performance? 7 - If your fairy god mother came to you and said you will get any tire/gear package you want would you change and to what?
1. 4.10
2. 38X14.5 mtr
3. Ranges
4. Superchip
5. Its fine but i don't own a jeep for road performance
6. Great until i break because of my lack of axle for my tire size... :(
7. I would get a gm 14 bolt rear 5.38s and a super 60 off a ford 5.38s and 41.5 pit bull rockers ooo ya and Detroit lockers.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

2012 jk, 2 door, manual transmission.

been wheeling goodyear duratracs 315/70R17 and nitto mud grapplers 35x12.5x17

Around 2500 rpm

AEV procal

Very good overall performance, fairly good fuel consumption, still can do 17-18 MPG in the best conditions.

Excellent performance, a bit too fast (for a standart tranny anyways) for hard core rock crawling with the 2.72:1 T-C ratio but get used to it.

I'd keep the 4.88 ratio, go to 37's, but would change the T-C for a rock track 4:1. If I had an auto trans I wouldn't mind the T-C swap.

Quick Reply: 3.6 owners only!!!!!!!!!!