Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8L CAI Mod -- Uses stock airbox without any changes!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default 3.8L CAI Mod -- Uses stock airbox without any changes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI_JK-2.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	664195Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI_JK-3.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	664193Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI_JK-1.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	664194

Pics are worth more than words, but as one can see it is simply a piece of rubber gasket material that acts as a baffle. It tucks in, and sort of snaps on/over existing under-hood metal. The top of the rubber bears slightly against the hood insulation for a seal. I made this about 60K miles ago and it's never shifted position.

The baffle causes much of the intake air to come from the opening behind the headlamp (first pic @ 6 o'clock) and also from the gap in the hood. Note in the first pic that the plastic behind the headlamp has been opened up slightly with a half-round file to increase the area. Water ingestion risk looks the same as stock to me -- Air is still pulled from the same locations as stock, but the baffle greatly reduces the warmer air from the engine compartment. And the factory water drain hole in the airbox is unchanged.

Main benefit is reduced knock retard and pinging (detonation) on very hot days, due to cooler air intake temperature. I wish I could find the datalogs of air temperature, but suffice it to say there was a repeatably measurable temperature decrease.

It's fairly easy to make. The middle pic shows the hardest part, making a thick paper template. Just use whatever paper/cardboard is handy, lots of trial and fit, then trace the template to the rubber sheet, and cut it out. Expect a little final trimming as you fit the rubber baffle for the first time.

EDIT:
Found the datalogs, see the next post.

MRT_CAI_Template.pdf
Above is a PDF template for the rubber sheet. Print, align the pages, tape the pages together, then cut the template from the assembled pages. Test fit the template, make any necessary changes, trace onto the sheet of rubber and cut it out. Final fit and trim as necessary, and...
Enjoy

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-08-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Found data graphs. Added template download.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:15 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Default Log Data - 3.8L CAI Mod -- Uses stock airbox

Intake air temperature: 129.2 vs 113.0 == 16.2 degrees cooler
Intake manifold air temperature: 141.8 vs 127.4 == 14.4 degrees cooler

These data logs are from two full throttle runs on a hot day, as identical as possible and about 15 minutes apart. The numbers in the upper right corner are data captured at the vertical timeline (5078 and 5028 RPM respectively).

OEM (no baffle)

Name:	CAI-OEM Intake Graph.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	664200

Rubber Baffle CAI mod

Name:	CAI-Mod Intake Graph.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	664201

Cheers

Last edited by Mr.T; 04-03-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

What was ambient air temperature? I monitor my manifold temperature, and it typically runs about 10-15° higher than ambient. Not actually certain, though, what it might read in the really cold temps we're experiencing recently, LOL. Anyway, I have an AEV snorkel and have always wished I had pre-snorkel measurements to compare--would be strong evidence that a snorkel is a "real" CAI.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What was ambient air temperature? I monitor my manifold temperature, and it typically runs about 10-15° higher than ambient. Not actually certain, though, what it might read in the really cold temps we're experiencing recently, LOL. Anyway, I have an AEV snorkel and have always wished I had pre-snorkel measurements to compare--would be strong evidence that a snorkel is a "real" CAI.
I have the AEV snorkel also and feel like I gained nothing, maybe even lost a bit of power. I also tried the viper throttle body mod for a year and only gained an occasional yellow lightning bolt.

So I gave up on performance mods. I'll take weak and reliable over strong and temperamental lol
Old 01-08-2017, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 3.6 does something similar and I was curious about it until I joined the snorkel club. Their rubber gasket is an extension from the air intake opening and it touches the underside of the hood to pull (presumably) cooler air.

Neat idea!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

This seems to be a move in the right direction.

Regarding the "cold air" intake kits most people install that do away with the stock air intake box/filter...

Do the kits have a port on them to connect the pcv hose that runs from the stock box to the passenger's side valve cover?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Unfortunately I don't know -- It was summer of 2012 and my best guess is ambient was somewhere in the 90's. I'd bet a snorkel is even a bit colder than my setup, but perhaps slightly more restrictive to airflow.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Unfortunately I don't know -- It was summer of 2012 and my best guess is ambient was somewhere in the 90's. I'd bet a snorkel is even a bit colder than my setup, but perhaps slightly more restrictive to airflow.

Definitely more restrictive. And I just drove to church and back and the ambient was 36° and intake was 43°.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I have the AEV snorkel also and feel like I gained nothing, maybe even lost a bit of power. I also tried the viper throttle body mod for a year and only gained an occasional yellow lightning bolt.

So I gave up on performance mods. I'll take weak and reliable over strong and temperamental lol
Yeah, the snorkel isn't going to give you horsepower. But, it is a performance mod, just depends on what kind of performance you need ...

Name:	Buckhorn OHV Trails, Jan 14, 7_3489, Brandy River Crossing (Mark's Jeep).jpg
Views:	629
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	664209
Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This seems to be a move in the right direction.

Regarding the "cold air" intake kits most people install that do away with the stock air intake box/filter...

Do the kits have a port on them to connect the pcv hose that runs from the stock box to the passenger's side valve cover?
Thanks Ron.

Regarding aftermarket intake kits and PCV, at Quadratec there's a couple pics showing a PCV hose connection Volant 17638 CAI Cool Air Intake for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.8L 6 Cylinder Engine | Quadratec -- Suspect most/all would include that.

Quick Reply: 3.8L CAI Mod -- Uses stock airbox without any changes!