Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8L CAI Mod -- Uses stock airbox without any changes!

Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Intake air temperature: 129.2 vs 113.0 == 16.2 degrees cooler
Intake manifold air temperature: 141.8 vs 127.4 == 14.4 degrees cooler

These data logs are from two full throttle runs, as identical as possible and about 15 minutes apart. The numbers in the upper right corner are data captured at the vertical timeline (5078 and 5028 RPM respectively).

OEM (no baffle)
Attachment 664200

Rubber Baffle CAI mod
Attachment 664201

Cheers
Thanks to Mr. T for providing factual info over opinion! Very interesting post.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I have the AEV snorkel also and feel like I gained nothing, maybe even lost a bit of power. I also tried the viper throttle body mod for a year and only gained an occasional yellow lightning bolt.

So I gave up on performance mods. I'll take weak and reliable over strong and temperamental lol
Signature quote is the BEST!!! Very common on any forum. Thanks man.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Main benefit is reduced knock retard and pinging (detonation) on very hot days, due to cooler air intake temperature"

Thanks for the info and graphs. Keeping the engine breathing cooler air is alaways good for the engine.

Reducing heat soak in the engine compartment will also help your engine last longer. That's why I got a vented hood.

From my tuner car days on my STI. I ran a 3 minute turbo timer just to make sure I was not turning the car off super hot. Some of my non tuner friends at first would tell me I left my car running then I would tell them it's to cool the turbo it's on a timer.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Reducing heat soak in the engine compartment will also help your engine last longer. That's why I got a vented hood.
Mechanical fan retrofit did that, too.
It reduced engine, transmission, intake, electronics, and engine bay temperatures, all the time. Also improved A/C performance.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default PDF Template added to the first post

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I used the original CAI template to make a five page PDF version of it. After printing and taping it together with the match marks, it was dang close to the original and should save anyone wanting to try this project some time.

MRT_CAI_Template.pdf
Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Definitely more restrictive. And I just drove to church and back and the ambient was 36° and intake was 43°.
Just drove to town, on the highway the ambient was 34° and the intake was 45°. In city traffic, it increases. We both figured that the snorkel is good at keeping the intake air cool, and this tends to confirm it.

Regarding the snorkel, is the drain in the airbox sealed up?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Just drove to town, on the highway the ambient was 34° and the intake was 45°. In city traffic, it increases. We both figured that the snorkel is good at keeping the intake air cool, and this tends to confirm it.

Regarding the snorkel, is the drain in the airbox sealed up?

Yes it is, along with the holes to allow alignment of the air box pins with the holes in the sheetmetal below it.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actual logs please?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I used the original CAI template to make a five page PDF version of it. After printing and taping it together with the match marks, it was dang close to the original and should save anyone wanting to try this project some time.

Attachment 664258
Hi Mr T. I am building one of these today and would be interested in the actual logs you used for the diablo graphs above. Two things are of interest. In the pic without the baffle I see that familiar down step in the temp reading that a wot run brings as the rush of air cools the intake tube. I don't see that in the pic with the baffle which could mean that the tube was not hot to begin with but I can't see your starting intake temps. Was the jeep properly warm (heat soaked) both runs? This is a fantastic idea and together with a clean OEM filter or if you want a green filter should out perform any so called cai on the market with stock water safety.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by SAJK
Hi Mr T. I am building one of these today and would be interested in the actual logs you used for the diablo graphs above. Two things are of interest. In the pic without the baffle I see that familiar down step in the temp reading that a wot run brings as the rush of air cools the intake tube. I don't see that in the pic with the baffle which could mean that the tube was not hot to begin with but I can't see your starting intake temps. Was the jeep properly warm (heat soaked) both runs? This is a fantastic idea and together with a clean OEM filter or if you want a green filter should out perform any so called cai on the market with stock water safety.
Both runs were warmed up prior by driving the same rural route near my home. I believe the runs with the baffle did start out at a lower temperature, due to the baffle.

It was 2012, a different computer, and am no longer using Diablosport -- Unfortunately all that is left of the logs are the two pics, and thankfully they were in an old email.

Yep, stock water safety was a priority, and I'm using an AEM washable filter. Glad your giving it a go!

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-14-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mr.T, i have recently done your CAI mod on my factory air box. I have a question. I have noticed that you are now using the AFE Power Momentum air box. Are you still utilizing the baffle mod you created on the new air box? If not, I was wondering what the temp readings are with baffle on factory airbox vs AFE with no baffle? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 3.8L CAI Mod -- Uses stock airbox without any changes!