Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" lift dropped my mpg 4 miles

Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had a 2" lift on my 2012 since new and typically got 18-19 mpg on the highway. Recently added bumpers, tire carrier, winch and went from 32" to 34" tires and lost some performance and 2-3 mpg. I corrected my tire size with my Superchips Trail Dash 2.

Last week I set my programming back to stock to take it in for service. After service, I forgot how to change the tire size back, and programmed in the 87 octane tune and then tire size.

My performance is much crisper, strong as ever with the 87 octane tune. And I've picked up a couple of mpg's as well. The tuner helps.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, after three years of running ALL STOCK, finally having 3" lift with 35" BFG KM2 installed as I write. My question, is adusting your fuel and speedometer a DIY task? Or should I have a professional do this. Currently running 3.73's and planning to upgrade to 4.50's in a few weeks. Should I wait till then? Thank you all ahead of time.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
But I have gearing and a tuner! Apparently gearing and tuner don't make up for 37's, armor, and tools lol
Ditto. Geared, tuner, loaded down with weight.....all amounts to poor fuel economy. It's ok, it's offset by the fun memories off the pavement.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Mike
Hello everyone, after three years of running ALL STOCK, finally having 3" lift with 35" BFG KM2 installed as I write. My question, is adusting your fuel and speedometer a DIY task? Or should I have a professional do this. Currently running 3.73's and planning to upgrade to 4.50's in a few weeks. Should I wait till then? Thank you all ahead of time.
Adjusting tire size is all you need to do to calibrate your speedo, and it's easily accomplished with the various tuners out there. You will have to have a tuner for when you regear to adjust the computer for the new gears, so may as well play around with it a bit prior to having to program your gears. Get familiar with the interface of your chosen tuner. So yes, it's all DIY. Most of the tuners are very straightforward. The Superchips is a really nice interface. I can't recommend the Bully Dog that I use.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

You can do it yourself with a programmer. The least expensive Superchips Flashcal and AEV ProCal will do tire size and gear changes. If you want to do engine tuning to get better performance you need the more expensive Superchips Flashpaq or Trail Dash 2 units. There are threads on programmers and tuners. You can do the tire size first, and the gear change later.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep, you need an AEV Procal or a SuperChips FlashCal.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a 2.5" lift (lifted the front a lot more than that due to sagged springs) and it didn't really affect my fuel economy. Once I put on a set of 35" Trail Grapplers without regearing from 4:10, my economy tanked. I went from 10-13L/100km on the highway to 16-19L/100km. With a light bar installed I get better fuel economy during normal city driving at 60-80km/h.

The biggest detriment to fuel economy is wider tires. Lifting up does reduce your underbody aerodynamics a bit, but tire width not only wrecks your aerodynamic profile, but it also increases your rolling resistance and unsprung weight.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd agree that is not enough of a difference to worry about it, just realize it will throw off the odometer and computer calculated efficiency a little. You're still right though, mainly looking at larger tire and added wind resistance sitting higher. I get 13.5mpg if it makes you feel any better.
I will disagree. I ran 33's after swapping the factory 32's for a whole year. shift points sucked, highway mileage was terrible, etc. I just tuned a few weeks ago, adjusted for tire size, and my shift points are much better, throttle response is perfect and mileage is 16 in the city 20 on the highway.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fattirefury12
13 around town, 15 on long trips. 12' 2dr. 4.88's & manual 37's
Same jeep same mileage for me exactly
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 was getting 20 - 22 mpg hwy until the 1.5" lift, bumper, sliders and skids. Same 32" tires and same flashed 87 tune. All those beefy steel parts added about 400lbs of weight. Now I'm lucky if I hit 20mpg hwy even briefly.

Quick Reply: 3" lift dropped my mpg 4 miles