Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30 min LED back up lights using the stock bumper

Old 03-25-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30 min LED back up lights using the stock bumper

I really like the look of the LED back up lights on the OR-FAB rear bumper and thought i would have a go at duplicating the look on my stock rear bumper. As it turned out this was super easy and should work on any JK 2 or 4 door.
The lights run under $40 shipped and its about a bucks worth of wire and tape.

Step one, invite a few friends to work on their jeeps too.

I made a template so i could duplicate the angle on both sides and started with a hole saw in my pilot holes

You use a hole saw so you get the curve at the end of each of the lights. with the 2 holes cut it looks like this.. Its a 2-1/2 inch hole saw by the way.

Draw straight lines to the edges of each hole and use a sharp knife to score then cut out the plastic between then. You should end up with something like this.

I ran my power to both rear lights from the left side, Its where my trailer wire hitch is connected in behind the rear lamp. Drill a small hole in the upper left of the inside of the bumper and pass the wire thought (you can reach thru the whole you just drilled to mount the light to do this) , then up into the rear fender well where the light connections are..

Make a electrical ground against you rear door latch on the inside of the rear fender and run the hot wire to the back up light, your connecting it to the white with a green stripe wire.

I'm not a fan or snap on connectors so i solder all my connections and tape them up.

I also run wire wrap along all the wires so there is next to no chance they will get frayed over time, this just slides on and is about $4 for a 12 foot length and your local Harbor Freight.

The lights have rubber grommet surrounds that presses into the hole that you cut, then the light presses into the gromit sealing the whole thing up.. The end result is this.

You could also mount them flat (not at an angle) or sloping the other way, away from the rear tire, but thats totally up to you. If anyone wants any more info just post here or drop me a line and i can let you know where i got all the supplies too.

30 min start to finish for this easy quick mod and they are SUPER bright. (the day time photo does not do it justice)
To make it super cool you could also run a 12v hot wire from the front of the jeep to the light and add a relay, the power draw is so low with this its a relay is not necessary as is, but this would give you the option to add a switch in the cab to be able to turn these on for camping, hooking up a trailer or anything else where you need some more rear light.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by Range_Time; 03-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Dang, why aren't there people around here inviting me to do this kind of thing. The install looks nice, good job.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link to the lights?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Benm1020
Link to the lights?
Here you go... fast ship and over 3000 positive feedback too. When they show up and have stop/turn/tail on the wires dont worry, they are all white just as in my photos.

2 Clear White LED Oval Trailer Truck Reverse Back Up Fog Light Grommet J66CK | eBay
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same project , I ordered different LED's 3 days ago. I can't wait to get them and start the installation Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1021188032.jpg
Views:	1326
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	540622 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3808365699.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	540623

Last edited by Junior30; 03-25-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Junior30
I have the same project , I ordered different LED's 3 days ago. I can't wait to get them and start the installation Attachment 540622 Attachment 540623
Can you post a link to these?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sar2547
Can you post a link to these?
there it is!

FREE FEDEX SHIPPING! 2PCS 5 INCH 16W CREE LED DUALLY FLUSH MOUNT LIGHT ,DRIVING LED LIGHT BAR-in Lights & Indicators from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

thank you sir
Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Range_Time
I really like the look of the LED back up lights on the OR-FAB rear bumper and thought i would have a go at duplicating the look on my stock rear bumper. As it turned out this was super easy and should work on any JK 2 or 4 door. The lights run under $40 shipped and its about a bucks worth of wire and tape. Step one, invite a few friends to work on their jeeps too. I made a template so i could duplicate the angle on both sides and started with a hole saw in my pilot holes You use a hole saw so you get the curve at the end of each of the lights. with the 2 holes cut it looks like this.. Draw straight lines to the edges of each hole and use a sharp knife to score then cut out the plastic between then. You should end up with something like this. I ran my power to both rear lights from the left side, Its where my trailer wire hitch is connected in behind the rear lamp. Drill a small hole in the upper left of the inside of the bumper and pass the wire thought (you can reach thru the whole you just drilled to mount the light to do this) , then up into the rear fender well where the light connections are.. Make a electrical ground against you rear door latch on the inside of the rear fender and run the hot wire to the back up light, your connecting it to the white with a green stripe wire. I'm not a fan or snap on connectors so i solder all my connections and tape them up. I also run wire wrap along all the wires so there is next to no chance they will get frayed over time, this just slides on and is about $4 for a 12 foot length and your local Harbor Freight. The lights have rubber grommet surrounds that presses into the hole that you cut, then the light presses into the gromit sealing the whole thing up.. The end result is this. You could also mount them flat (not at an angle) or sloping the other way, away from the rear tire, but thats totally up to you. If anyone wants any more info just post here or drop me a line and i can let you know where i got all the supplies too. 30 min start to finish for this easy quick mod and they are SUPER bright. (the day time photo does not do it justice) To make it super cool you could also run a 12v hot wire from the front of the jeep to the light and add a relay, the power draw is so low with this its a relay is not necessary as is, but this would give you the option to add a switch in the cab to be able to turn these on for camping, hooking up a trailer or anything else where you need some more rear light. Cheers Dave
Nice write up looks really good I think I might try this after doing my front bumper to a stubby
Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Nice write up

Quick Reply: 30 min LED back up lights using the stock bumper