Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33" MTZ''s vs. Open Country (or other suggestions)

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a set of used MTZ a couple years ago. they were cupped bad, and worn out like you wouldn't believe. they still worked good for in the trail.
the guy i bought them from used them a long time and never rotated. there condition was terrible. but i still managed to surprise people with their performance.
last year i bought a new set. its awesome how well these tires perform. i used them all winter this year, and yes they were fine. windsor ontario weather is not much different then yours, so you know how bad some of our snow falls where this year.
i was a bit nervous bout them when the first storm hit. in the powerder they were flawless. when the snow started to go away, and it started icing, they didn't seem hard and slidy. a minor amount of wheel spin, but nothing you wouldn't get from any other tire.

remeber.... who's the leader of the club that's built for you and me?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

We don't get snow where I live in fact we have had less than 1"of rain in the last 5 months... Summer here... But I do Love my MTZ. When it does rain the trails we do it turns the dust into some pretty gooey mud... Been on about 35000km now and still more than half the tread left.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on going with Goodyear mtrk in a couple months. I have heard really good things about them. I hear they do well for a mt in the snow and from what I have see. They are very tough and stick to the rocks. The only problem I have heard of with them is they are hard to balance
Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bareass
i bought a set of used MTZ a couple years ago. they were cupped bad, and worn out like you wouldn't believe. they still worked good for in the trail.
the guy i bought them from used them a long time and never rotated. there condition was terrible. but i still managed to surprise people with their performance.
last year i bought a new set. its awesome how well these tires perform. i used them all winter this year, and yes they were fine. windsor ontario weather is not much different then yours, so you know how bad some of our snow falls where this year.
i was a bit nervous bout them when the first storm hit. in the powerder they were flawless. when the snow started to go away, and it started icing, they didn't seem hard and slidy. a minor amount of wheel spin, but nothing you wouldn't get from any other tire.

remeber.... who's the leader of the club that's built for you and me?
Have you got any pics of your rig? (aside of the avatar pic that doesn't show the tires )
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JayKay69
I plan on going with Goodyear mtrk in a couple months. I have heard really good things about them. I hear they do well for a mt in the snow and from what I have see. They are very tough and stick to the rocks. The only problem I have heard of with them is they are hard to balance
I've also read some good things about the MT/R's! My only problem is that if I got those I'd want to go with 34 or 35's and then I'd have to get into regearing, strengthening up my axle's, etc, etc, and with getting married next year those kind of funds unfortunately just aren't justifiable
Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by emoody007
Backordered? I just put a set on last week. Took them less than a week to come in. Also available on ebay.
Backordered at discount tire direct. I guess they are available at other places, but i'm not willing to buy tires from ebay.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepasauraus
A. those look tough as all get out man.
B. Being in Kansas, ya'll see pretty similar to us here in Indy, how do they do in the winter conditions? I know ice is tricky with almost any tire, but have you had any problems at all?
A. Yes - they are tough as nails. And even as an "E" rated tire, you can see that they aired down well on the trails.

B. They were great in the winter/snow. We got dumped on here in Kansas City this past winter, and I only had to go in 4-HI a few times the whole season.

I totally see them as a "you get what you pay for" item.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepasauraus
Have you got any pics of your rig? (aside of the avatar pic that doesn't show the tires )
nothing right now with clean tires!, i'll try to find a pic or 2 hidden on my comp
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nitto is owned by Toyo. Everybody copies Toyos tread pattern (nitto, Cooper, et al). Toyos are good looking and bullet proof.

Flash
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

My Toyos do well but heavy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hover_2aalr.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	141674  

Quick Reply: 33" MTZ''s vs. Open Country (or other suggestions)