JK Newbie

Question 33" tires vs 35" tires

I put a 2" lift and 35" Mickey Thompson ATs on my sahara and in daily driving it seemed that the engine had some trouble pushing the tires. It would rev high even on slight inclines (but the tires looked great!). I swapped them out for 33" versions and it seems to run a little better but not as good as I expected. I would like in the near future to put in an air intake and a better exhaust pipes to get a little more HP. Would that normalize the performance with the 35" tires? As far as taking it off-road which size performs better? Any suggestions or advice welcome. I am going to check tire pressure and see if it rides better at pressure recommended on the fourm.

Thanks

What is making you extremely sluggish is your gear ratio. You need taller gears to compensate for your tire size.
    2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2DR dubbed RED WONDER WAGON by Evan

Lots of mods.

Long Island Off Road Club
    liorclub.org/Members/dimi
    NOVA4x4

I'm running the same tire with 4:10 gears.
    Its not bad but would like to say the Cold Air Intake made a difference to me,not huge but it will take care of the little sluggish at the bottom on the pedal.
    I also changed to 89 octane from 87 and another big difference for me,a much better pick up now

I think most change to 4:88 gears.I might some day but its okay for now
    2dr Redrock
    Sahara

Fully loaded
    Mopar Bugguard
    3" Fabtech lift
    35" Mickey Thompson ATZ
    K&N Cold Air intake
    Fabtech stabilizer
    1 1/2" Hub Centric wheel spacers
    Mopar vent visors
    4:10 Gears
    I LOVE MY JEEP

coming soon:
    0r-fab tire carrier
    Northridge4x4

JK Super Freak

Don't dink with minor crap; just get the gears done. 5.13 if automatic and 4.88 if stick. Life will be good again.
    08 Rubi 4dr, GM 6.2 LS with GM 6L80 6 speed auto, Dynatrac ProRock80 in rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, Big Brake kit, DynaLock with Stub Hub, both axles 4.88 gears and ARB lockers, 4" lift, King coil-overs, PSC steering, 37" MTR's, Hutchison Rock Monster dual beadlock wheels, RockHard Front Bumper, Rocker Guards, Rear Bumper w custom Tire Carrier, TC skid, Warn PowerPlant w syn rope, Tuffy Drawer, 60" Hi-Lift, PullPal, Cibie headlights, ARB fridge.

Gears, Gears, Gears.... Then programer to calibrate the auto tranny
    08 2dr Flame red Rubicon

X4 - W/ an auto, a gear swap is a must!

35's and 5.13's and you will love your JK like never before
    07 Jeep Green 2dr RC 2.5" & 2.2 Shocks 1.75/.75 spacers : JKS front trkbar/TF rear brkt : 35" BFG KM2's : Smitty XRC front bumper & 10k winch

KEEP FIGHTIN' BROTHER!!! - My life is "Happy" inspired! - Dig in man, & show us how it's done!

Northridge4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green View Post
    X4 - W/ an auto, a gear swap is a must!

x5. I know gears are expensive, but you pay to play.
    Anthony - 2007 Rubicon

Die-Tech Off-road
    American steel. American made.
    mirror relocation·evap. relocation·c-gussets

www.dietechoffroad.com - Follow us on Twitter!

I agree on the gears i put 513s in my Sahara auto. SWEET NOW. But my new Rubicon auto has the same 410s as my Sahara did but it handled the 35BFGs better? Can somebody Explain that one. It is like i did not change tire size
    2012 WHITE 4-Door ALL WHITE RUBICON 2" lift Bumpers Wife
    2012 WHITE 4- Door Not all White RUBITRUCK 2" lift Bumpers Mine
    2007 Silver 2- Door RUBICON 4" lift Bumpers and more Son
    (FLEET SUPPORT)

(I SUPPORT THE WAR FIGHTER GOD BLESS AMERICA)

JK Freak

Quote Originally Posted by drievisjen View Post
    I put a 2" lift and 35" Mickey Thompson ATs on my sahara and in daily driving it seemed that the engine had some trouble pushing the tires. It would rev high even on slight inclines (but the tires looked great!). I swapped them out for 33" versions and it seems to run a little better but not as good as I expected. I would like in the near future to put in an air intake and a better exhaust pipes to get a little more HP. Would that normalize the performance with the 35" tires? As far as taking it off-road which size performs better? Any suggestions or advice welcome. I am going to check tire pressure and see if it rides better at pressure recommended on the fourm.

Thanks
    Like the other jeepers told you, you need at least 4.1 ratio.
    Personally, I'm not ready to change my 33" tires for 35" because the gas in Quebec is too expensive, and also, 33" is just perfect for off-roading with 4.1 ratio.

JK Super Freak

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green View Post

Tis true. Recntly I was out with a Range Rover and Disco, both of which are V8's, and climbing steep hills I could hear them working and with 5.13's, 35's, auto, and 4:1 low box I climbed effortlessly. And when set up for a week long outing I'm heavy.

FWIW I find the tendency of RR's to lift their left front while climbing under throttle amusing. It's almost as amusing as watching FJ Cruisers totter thru obstacles on the left front and right rear tires or their right front and left rear. The more I'm around other vehicles the more I think the JK is the way to go. The JK does a damn fine job of keeping its rubber on terra firma.
    08 Rubi 4dr, GM 6.2 LS with GM 6L80 6 speed auto, Dynatrac ProRock80 in rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, Big Brake kit, DynaLock with Stub Hub, both axles 4.88 gears and ARB lockers, 4" lift, King coil-overs, PSC steering, 37" MTR's, Hutchison Rock Monster dual beadlock wheels, RockHard Front Bumper, Rocker Guards, Rear Bumper w custom Tire Carrier, TC skid, Warn PowerPlant w syn rope, Tuffy Drawer, 60" Hi-Lift, PullPal, Cibie headlights, ARB fridge.

11. Default JK-Forum