Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33's on a stock sahara

Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's on a stock sahara

I'll start off by saying I know there is a search button and I know how to use it.

BUT its a pain in the but to search through pages of different thread to find out what I need and to add to that my computer is running REALLY REALLY REALLY SLOW. So it adds to the frustration. So I hope I don't piss anyone off cause I'm sure its been asked a million times.

I was going to buy a set of winter wheels and tires for the jeep untill I found out how much they want up here for both. So I figured instead I'll just buy a nice set of tires for year round that I'll be happy with.

I'm looking at some 275/70-R18 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. Which I have heard is a good tire for snow and mud.

From what I have gathered the tires will fit with some rubbing (stock sahara rims) untill I can get some 1.5" spacers.

Just want to make sure this will work untill I can get enuf money to get a 2" lift of some sort.

thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I agree, the search feature sucks. And so do the FAQ's. I'll help you out a little...

275/70-R18
Outer Diameter: 33.15 "
Section Width: 10.82 "
Rim Size: 18"

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...74&postcount=3

Q: What is the biggest size tire I can fit on my stock Jeep JK Wrangler?
A: The largest tire size that the factory recommends is a 255/75R17 (which comes standard on Rubicon models) or a 32x10.50. However, there are many Jeep JK Wrangler owners who are currently running as big as 285/70R17 or 33x10.50's with little to no rubbing issues.

Q: What is the biggest size tire that I can I fit with a 2.5" Budget Boost?
A: 33" without any problems and 35" tires with only minor rubbing at a full flex. Depending on how wide your tires are, you may experience some rubbing at a full turn especially if you did not install an adjustable front track bar and/or are still running factory wheels which have 6.25" of back spacing.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey...why don't you use the search button! jk
Nice choice on tires, currently I am running 33" Firestone Destination MTs, they're great offroad, look good, good price, good in the mud....but SUCK SUCK SUCK in the snow, even with siping....as soon as they wear out I plan to get some Duratracs....
With true 33's on your stock rims you will get some rubbing at hard turns, but you've already decided to get some spacers which will work great, I have mine mounted on stock rims with Spidertrax spacers and have no rubbing issues. I also have a 3" lift, but you should be fine with you proposed setup. If you want to see what the 33's look like on stock rims shoot me a pm
Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

i know that if u calculate the size on this tire im gonna tell u about is only 32" but when i got them mounted and blanced and measured the actual OD they cam out to 33.19 so im not dissappointed! they are the Hankook Dynapro Mt Rt103 in size 275/65R18 and they are a great tire especially in the mud or on rocks, and drive exceptionally well on road! they are without a doubt the quietest MT i have ever had vs BFG,Goodyear,Nitto! so i will reccomend them!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Hey...why don't you use the search button! jk
Nice choice on tires, currently I am running 33" Firestone Destination MTs, they're great offroad, look good, good price, good in the mud....but SUCK SUCK SUCK in the snow, even with siping....as soon as they wear out I plan to get some Duratracs....
With true 33's on your stock rims you will get some rubbing at hard turns, but you've already decided to get some spacers which will work great, I have mine mounted on stock rims with Spidertrax spacers and have no rubbing issues. I also have a 3" lift, but you should be fine with you proposed setup. If you want to see what the 33's look like on stock rims shoot me a pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your stock rim/tire combo, can you post them in here? If not, no big deal. I am torn between trying to find some 09 Rubicon/BFG take-offs or picking up some Sahara rims and buying my own rubber to mount on them.

Anyone else have an opinion on the Firestone Destinations MT's or Hankook Dynapro Mt Rt103?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing on my stock sahara 18s. I am debating between the 275/65/r18 and 275/70/r18. any thoughts?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CSquareSahara
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing on my stock sahara 18s. I am debating between the 275/65/r18 and 275/70/r18. any thoughts?
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy 5x16" black steel wheels and 5x new tires in r16 rather than r18?

I have the same jeep, a 2007 2dr black sahara w/the 18" wheels. When my tires wear out, my plan is to buy 5x16" black steel wheels and 5x33" wide tires. The cost of the wheels is a little less than $300 and you more than make up the difference in tire cost.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

I got procomps ATs 33 X 13.5 X 18 on procomp wheels on a Sahara with no lift and when I flex, my fenders rip off !!!

Switching to winter tires in 2 weeks.
I will put the lift in March...
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default No Problem

That size will be fine if stock for now.

Originally Posted by CSquareSahara
Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepincanada
I got procomps ATs 33 X 13.5 X 18 on procomp wheels on a Sahara with no lift and when I flex, my fenders rip off !!!
Ouch... that can't be good. Tear anything up?

Quick Reply: 33's on a stock sahara