Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35" tire on stock tire carrier?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SB mount which holds whatever size you want, but I would like to get the AEV tire carrier, as it mounts to the frame and works with the stock bumper, only wish it was less $$$, i think its $800...I have no rattles, but only a matter of time.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the stock carrier in combination with the TF hinge, I cut off the 3rd brake light as the tire hit that. As others have said, make sure the bumpers in the gate are firmly in contact with the tire to avoid any movement. It worked well for me. I purchased an AEV carrier for my new JKUR-X or would have moved that setup to the new jeep.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by beezler11
I have an aftermarket rear bumper capable of accommodating a 35 inch tire but I am wondering if the stock tire carrier is strong enough to handle the bigger tire.
No, it will fail over time, regardless of use.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hilop
I had the my 35 on my stock carrier and noticed the latch on the door starting to pop when I would open and close. I had it on for about 2 months with a decent amount of offroad. I just replaced with a Rancho tire carrier and feel at ease.
How does the Rancho Tire Carrier hold up and what is it bolted to?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

I would not put a 35 inch tire on a stock carrier. The biggest reason I personally wouldn't do it is liability. Not to you or your rig but for the driver behind you IF the tire should break away. They could sue claiming you were negligent putting a 65 pound 75 pound (or whatever weight the tire is) on a carrier that is only supposed to hold 55 pounds (or whatever the max is). Just a thought!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:31 PM
JK Freak

I put 80k miles on my last jeep with 35’s on stock carrier. Ended up wearing out my bushings in the tailgate hinge and had to upgrade to greasable units.

I would strongly suggest extending the stops to reduce any vibrations or wiggling. Just keep an eye on things.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

http://collinsbrosjeep.com/07-curren...-tire-carrier/

Would something like this work or would it also put too much stress on the tailgate? Thanks. I'm looking for something as I get closer to 35s too. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Just as an fyi... I recently got 35s on my 07.. they weigh 85 lbs. My stock 18" Sahara wheel-tire weighed exactly 65 lbs. I plan to run the 35 spare on the stocker mount for a bit, And keep a close eye on it.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beermantsw
I agree with what everyone said. most of us have been in the same boat as you. when I got my new tire carrier and was taking of the stock one I was surprised how it could even hold up a 35' tire, its only made of pot metal and weighs about 3 pounds . and if it ever does break off I feel bad for the guy behind you on the highway . Teraflex does make a good carrier
It is not "pot metal" but actually made of Magnesium and quite strong. The problem is that they don't flex well that's why the rubber stoppers need to secure the tire from wiggling. Check the price and you will find out that they are around $300 for the stock carrier....
Old 06-12-2015, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beezler11
I have an aftermarket rear bumper capable of accommodating a 35 inch tire but I am wondering if the stock tire carrier is strong enough to handle the bigger tire.
I've had a 35x12.5r15 km2 on a procomp wheel on my stock tire carrier for over 2 years with absolutely no problem

Quick Reply: 35" tire on stock tire carrier?