Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's to 37's

Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please follow my journey !!!!!!!

OK, so after some initial feedback and some research on the "Drag Link Flip" I have come up with a plan!!!!!

So far all the replies and what I have found in my research, I guess it is pretty much agreed that I do not need 1.5inches of additional lift if any. So I have quickly drawn up a plan to get me on my way to 37'S!!!!!! This will be at least a 2 year project (unless I win the lottery) just due to the amount of $$$$$ this will all cost. I have broken the project down into phases, with each phase being done in a six month interval and the cost of each phase ranging from about 600 - 1500.

Again this is just the work needed, to get me to the 37's and not the new wheels and tires them selves, I will also hold off on the pinch seam until right before it is time for the tires. And then time will only tell how long the front drive shaft will hold out.

Phase 1: BDS Rear upper adjustable control arms
BDS Front lower adjustable control arms

Phase 2: New Bilstien steering stabilizer
EVO drag link flip kit

Phase 3: Teraflex 1inch spacers (I would like just a bit more lift)
Brake lines
Bilstien 5100's

Phase 4: Bushwacker Flat Flares

Phase 5: Front dana 30 beef-up Sleeves and Gussets

Again the final will be new Rugged Ridge Wheels and Goodyear MTR's in 37, with a pinch seam trim.

I will update this thread when each phase and or project has been completed. If at any time someone has a comment or suggestion please post it. I hope you all stay tuned.

Cheers
Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's wrong with DPA's? People have been running them on TJ's for over 10 years no problems. I have one on mine and have zero issues as well.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Something you may want to consider looking into is the new Tera 30 housing instead of working on your current D30 if you plan on keeping that. The Tera 30 is already beefed up ready to go for the larger tires, also can get with built in caster correction so if you are planning on going with only front LCAs you can probably also skip that step and have them just add the caster to the flange. No need to add the sleeves or gussets then as well. Maybe toss in some Synergy ball joints on the new housing and you basically just swap all your other components over. Something you most likely could do yourself to save some money as well. The net cost probably would be about the same because then you can also sell off your unmolested stock D30 housing after you gut it. A bit more effort overall but a much stronger way to go I think. Just an idea. Good luck on your project.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would move up the gusset/C's option to near the top.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately do the C's before 37s. Tweaking your a LR can be done with mild/moderate off roading on just 33" tires.

As for drop pitmans: never had a TJ but read about boxes shearing off the frame. Not hard evidence, but would guess extra leverage from a DP arm would make ripping off the steering box easier. People have reported steering box issues on the JK with 37"+ tires. The DP puts more stress on the box. I believe this is just one of the reasons people opt for a flip kit.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKURubi
Here's you a idea of 4" lift with 37" with flat fenders.
Attachment 457379
JKURubi - Are you running stock wheels with 37's? Any issues?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

The drag link flip isn't really necessary unless you start encountering bump steer. Use the money towards one of your other mods. The drag link flip isn't usually done until you start lifting your JK to 4" or more. Some people do the flip at 3.5", but it isn't really needed. I agree with others, do the 'C' reinforcement as soon as possible. Even with a 35" tire, you can bend your inner C's hitting a pothole while driving down the road.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BIGSBEARS46

JKURubi - Are you running stock wheels with 37's? Any issues?
Yes, I just got them mounted so it's too soon to know. I know plenty of people that run them with no issues.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK guys, I know I laid out my phases to get me to 37's, well I have officially started, just not in the order I originally laid out. Just got "Bushwacker" flat flares installed, a big difference in the amount of wheel clearance now available. They also look great. Got them installed at the "4 Wheel Parts" in Miami, not totally happy with the install, but I will not start bashing until they have the opportunity to correct things, which I will give them as soon as I get in touch with them tomorrow, (more on that later), hear are some quick shots of the flares.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3692078958.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	497534

Name:	image-3696163112.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	497535

Name:	image-1789945110.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	497536

Name:	image-891286183.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	497537

Again overall happy with the look and the added clearance gained, install needs to be addressed. Next will be some adjustable control arms!!!!

Cheers
Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

New update, did some pinch seam trimming, gained about 1/2 inch of clearance. Very easy job to do, just 20 minutes and a cutting wheel. Then went out on Monday and had the cut along with bottom edge of Jeep body ( rockers) with line-x. Had some damage on the hardtop also covered with line-x.

PINCH SEAM CUT AND PRIMED

Name:	image-442111377.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	501895

THE WAY THE JEEP LOOKS NOW

Name:	image-2650148817.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	501896