Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's to 37's

Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am always curious about all these threads about all the threads on all these steering mods...

I've got 37's with a 4" lift and I've never had any steering issues so far

Matthew
Old 09-30-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the steering stabilizer using the same bolt as the track bar?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
i am always curious about all these threads about all the threads on all these steering mods...

I've got 37's with a 4" lift and I've never had any steering issues so far

Matthew
Start by taking a look at which components came with your 4" BDS lift. Are there any components that just might correct the steering angles? A raised trackbar bracket and drop pitman, perhaps?

In the case of the comments and picture from earlier today, the drag link was flipped to the top of the knuckle (as opposed to being lowered by your drop pitman), but the trackbar stayed right where it was (as opposed to being relocated by your bracket). So the bars in the pic started parallel to each other, and now, as we can see, they are not. (as opposed to yours that were both relocated and remained parallel to each other).

Just stole this pic from the Trackbar thread (thanks Trauma). See if you can tell the difference between it and the two D_engel quoted earlier...

Click image for larger version

Name:	15169918839_d85840f444_b.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	577941

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-30-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Another shot showing the track bar and drag link being parallel.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
Flipped link and stock trackbar brackets. Bet this thing drives like shit. No offense.
Hey guy your Jeep probably drives like shit, but no offense!!!! Really???? Maybe you could have offered some suggestions as to what is wrong and maybe a remedy. It actually drives pretty good; I have however noticed that I now have just a bit of bump-steer that I never had before. When I decided to get the new RK springs I knew I was going to gain some lift, that's why I decided to do the drag-link flip. No one informed me that I needed to raise the track-bar also and keep it in line with the drag-link.

Well after ready all these wonderful posts, from such helpful people (sarcasm if you did't notice) and sending Synergy some e-mails along with a photo of my current setup, I can say that. I have learned a good amount of info. I also have ordered the Synergy track-bar relocation bracket to address the issue.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Is the steering stabilizer using the same bolt as the track bar?
Yes it is the same bolt, it is installed correctly. FOX includes a new track-bar bolt with the ATS stabilizer that utilizes the same bolt. If you do a search on YouTube they actually have a video done by FOX and Offroad Warehouse that shows the install.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Anglico1
Maybe you could have offered some suggestions as to what is wrong and maybe a remedy. It actually drives pretty good...
In all fairness, you did give an initial review of the performance, with zero indications that anything was wrong.

Overall, first impressions on the drive home, very positive, I gained an additional 1.5 inches of lift, the ride on the road is mush smoother, and I would say the steering is a bit stiffer and more responsive.
Had you said something simple like:

I have however noticed that I now have just a bit of bump-steer that I never had before.
you would have received the constructive comments indicating 'why' you are now getting the bumpsteer, instead of comments wondering how the steering was still good.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Start by taking a look at which components came with your 4" BDS lift. Are there any components that just might correct the steering angles? A raised trackbar bracket and drop pitman, perhaps?

In the case of the comments and picture from earlier today, the drag link was flipped to the top of the knuckle (as opposed to being lowered by your drop pitman), but the trackbar stayed right where it was (as opposed to being relocated by your bracket). So the bars in the pic started parallel to each other, and now, as we can see, they are not. (as opposed to yours that were both relocated and remained parallel to each other).

Just stole this pic from the Trackbar thread (thanks Trauma). See if you can tell the difference between it and the two D_engel quoted earlier...

Attachment 577941
Thank you for the explanation, so that's what a gusseted axle looks like

Does it really make a big difference in the strength along that axis?

Matthew
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Thank you for the explanation, so that's what a gusseted axle looks like

Does it really make a big difference in the strength along that axis?

Matthew
That is a truss not gussets...
Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi

Thank you for the explanation, so that's what a gusseted axle looks like Does it really make a big difference in the strength along that axis? Matthew
When installed correctly the truss is stronger than sleeves.

sent from my work leash