Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's and C-Gussets - How Much Are They Needed?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmileys12JKU
35s and the 3.21?? Hmmm, would be saving for gears. I'm on 35s and have the stock 4.10s, they are ok. That being said I'm sure a gear change will be in order for me as the jeep seems gutless when running hills on the highway. Around town isn't too bad. And reverse, don't get me started on that gear with 35s, just plain sucks backing up any grade, let alone trying to do it with the trailer I use it with sometimes.
It ain't as bad as you think with the 2012. Forget 6th, but 5th gear I'm 2000 rpm at 60 and 2500ish at 75. Works pretty well and rarely have to down shift to 4th goin 65. As for Offroad, I have 4:1 low which helps a TON. Regear eventually, yes, but no rush. 4.10 or 4.56 max or my 35's.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should've installed these (PureJeep) before I ever hit the dirt. Haven't checked my camber, but no funny tire wear. Got new ball joints installed too. They were installed at about 75k. 50k miles on 32s, 25k miles on 35s.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done tons of them, there is no gussett better than another personally I'll take one that encompasses the c versus a thin strip....
As far as are they needed its hit or miss like others have suggested its cheap insurance better to have and not need then need and not have...

I won't beat on my jeep without em....c-gussets, sleeves and ball joints are one of the first things I've done on my last 3 jk's.

They can be welded with ball joints in and no damage I do the. This way all the time...the up sell to do ball joints is a simple one since your there already.... makes more sense to swap em for the shop and to make money....on the flip side stock ball joints do not like bigger tires and are prone to failure sooner than later....

I weld em up all the time with no damage to ball joints but I'd definently look at doing ball joints down the road....
Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Northridge 4x4 is offering a package thay gets you the Evo 44 mag axle tube reinforcents (weld in), their C2 gussets and the LCA skids at a pretty dang good price. Everyone has already mentioned some very good info. I run 35's on my D30 and rear D44 without anything extra on them, so far Im not smiling. I dont run off road too often so I would say 85% on-road driving. I would like to add gussets and such because they are good insurance. My $.02
Old 09-15-2013, 03:59 AM
JK Newbie

Tag for more info
Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, I will definitely be looking into this and doing the upgrades ASAP. Unfortunately in NY, it's harder to find people who know what the hell they're doing when it comes to this stuff because Jeep modifications aren't as common around here. As much as I'd love to do the ball joints at the same time, too many mods recently has severely depleted my budget lol so I'll be saving for them down the road. I think they'll be okay for a little while, the Jeep only has 11,000 miles and so far mostly on road driving and no real additional stress on them

Thanks again for the input!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2012JKNY
Thanks guys, I will definitely be looking into this and doing the upgrades ASAP. Unfortunately in NY, it's harder to find people who know what the hell they're doing when it comes to this stuff because Jeep modifications aren't as common around here. As much as I'd love to do the ball joints at the same time, too many mods recently has severely depleted my budget lol so I'll be saving for them down the road. I think they'll be okay for a little while, the Jeep only has 11,000 miles and so far mostly on road driving and no real additional stress on them

Thanks again for the input!
There is a good video on youtube showing Mel Wade building a "Mopar Super 44", he shows how to weld the c gussets on without damaging your ball joints. Its all about taking your time and doing it right.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
There is a good video on youtube showing Mel Wade building a "Mopar Super 44", he shows how to weld the c gussets on without damaging your ball joints. Its all about taking your time and doing it right.
Good Video, EVO MFG was the first one to make the C-gusset for the JK. Often duplicated

We always suggest and install C gussets on factory axles.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Well after long back n forth battles with my Dana 30, I will be installing the 44 mag sleeves and the C2 package along with the Artec truss. Overkill??? Maybe.. But it will be one strong bastard!

Quick Reply: 35's and C-Gussets - How Much Are They Needed?