Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35s on Stock Wheels Installation Trouble

Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use an impact on your lugs. Always use a torque wrench so you know it's right and you won't have to worry about stripping the stud.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

my harbor freight torque wrench has done me just fine for 5+ years.

I don't even remember how much it cost but I'd bet less than $25.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had issues when going to town fair tire. I wanted new valve stems and balance on my front tires. they wouldnt even take the tire off when they notice i had aluminum spacers on my 33's. they told me i can come back with the tires off the jeep and roll them in. lol. WTF..
Old 06-22-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trentsteal
I can indeed change a flat if necessary and realize the spacer installation is quite simple but since proper torque is important and I don't have an Impact wrench I thought it would be better to let the guys with the right tools handle that job.
I found an independent shop that has no problem with the spacers but I'm just hoping they don't say anything about the wheel/tire width discrepancy. Unfortunately they had no time today so it will be next Saturday now before it happens. If I have trouble with them, I'll take the collective advice of having them mounted and balanced then put them all on myself.
Thanks to you all for the input and I will post before and after pics once done b/c I can't wait to see how this setup turns out!
An impact isn't a torque wrench. While it can (and may) apply lots of torque (it's job) what it doesn't (cause it can't) is regulate and control the amount of torque applied. Like above, pick up a torque wrench and use it along with locktite on the spacers. The issue is - in the event a spacer comes off they will be liable should you decide to sue them. They aren't willing to rely on you telling them you will never do that so won't install with spacers. I think (and may be wrong - happens all the time) they won't put the tires and wheels on the Jeep even if you have the spacers on previously.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Well I'm obviously no mechanic, thanks for the education on Torque vs. Impact wrenches, I did not know the difference before today.
Luckily however this second shop has agreed to install the spacers for me. But its good to know what I need in order to take care of tightening lugs in the future.
Right now, I'm just hoping I don't have a problem with them not wanting to put the tires on 8" wheels.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to make sure the install shop does not use impact wrench and only a torque wrench on install. Also make sure they remove the lock washers on all the studs on the rotor.

You may still want to look into investing in a torque wrench yourself. You have to double check in the future.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Ran into the same problem, had them mount the tires and put the spacers on myself once I got home. Most tools you can borrow from all the big chain auto parts store with a deposit. Very easy to do if you don't have a garage or a big tool collection. Just make sure the loctite is used!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Unfortunately most companies won't install spacers. I agree with the rest of the forum, have them install the tires then go home and install the spacers. Use a torque wrench and some locktite on the spacers during install.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

So after you use the Red Loctite on the spacers how can you retorque after 500 miles if the Red Loctite creates an almost permanent bond?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You retorque at a lower setting. Basically its just testing to make sure the loctite hasn't released for some reason. You should also check the torque on the spacers each time you rotate the tires.

Quick Reply: 35s on Stock Wheels Installation Trouble