Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35s on Stock Wheels Installation Trouble

Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A yellow stripe across the stud and nut will allow you to quickly visually check to see if everything is where it should be.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Update: Finally got my 35s on today! No trouble getting everything installed at this place luckily. Unfortunately the Plasti Dip chipped a little from mounting the tires but that is easily touched up. Only issue is it seems to be rubbing when I turn the wheel all the way but I need to check it out more. Anyway, I love the new look! It looks like a Jeep should! This pic doesn't do it iustice but its the only one I have so far.
Here's some before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2417483419.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	473109   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-412700493.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	473110   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4188705776.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	473111  
Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just need to trim the "wings" on your front air dam to get rid of the rubbing at full lock. I was able to cut them off without fully removing the airdam. I just carfully unscrewed the plasic screws from the front of the bumper by placing a flat head screw driver up underneath on the tip of the screw to give it down presure and then using a phillips head screwdrive to uncrew it. I didn't bother with uncrewing the connector that are on the back side of the airdam. Once hanging I just took a hacksaw and cut off the wins of the air dam and now NO rubbing at full lock.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you trying to run these tires with no lift of any kind? It will rub anytime you flex it at all.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

I will check out the Air Dam wings and trim that. Thanks for that suggestion. I hope that is all that is needed. I do have a 3.25" Rough Country lift on it plus 1.25" spacers so I thought I would be fine with 35s. However I used stock 2011 Grand Cherokee wheels and didn't check the backspacing, I just figured it would be about the same as stock Moabs.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good in that color.just take that plastic air dam off. Replace it with a metal one from skid row if you feel you need one. Lots of us aren't running one at all.could not tell how much it's lifted from that pic.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trentsteal
Update: Finally got my 35s on today! No trouble getting everything installed at this place luckily. Unfortunately the Plasti Dip chipped a little from mounting the tires but that is easily touched up. Only issue is it seems to be rubbing when I turn the wheel all the way but I need to check it out more. Anyway, I love the new look! It looks like a Jeep should! This pic doesn't do it iustice but its the only one I have so far.
Here's some before and after pics.
Take the air dam off that was one of my very first mods after buying my JK besides if you planing on a front bumper you probably can't use it anyway

*O||||||O*
Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

What does the air dam even do? Does it make it more aerodynamic? If so, I need all the help I can get there b/c my MPG are dropping since the new tires.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trentsteal
What does the air dam even do? Does it make it more aerodynamic? If so, I need all the help I can get there b/c my MPG are dropping since the new tires.
The air dam creates negative pressure behind the radiator so air flows thru instead of around. It also cleans the air flow under the jeep. All high performance ( F1; NASCAR; Supercar & Hypercar ) have belly aerodynamics. Even some transport rigs have bottom aerodynamics. That piece of plastic equates to 1~2 mpg. That said, on a jeep, the air dam can be a problem when in water or mud. When you go in reverse, it acts as a plow.

If you replace with metal, know that Skid Row is cosmetic only. Others that are of thicker gauge can take a hit.

The best way to get better mpg other than not driving is to keep it under 65, & slow accelerations. Drag is what kills the boxy jeep.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 06-30-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 35s on Stock Wheels Installation Trouble