Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37's ripping fenders off on 6" lift

Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Actually, the comment on axle centering was about the axle movement when stuffed. The front moves up and forward, the rear moves up and back. Depending on where the tires are contacting, I was thinking that axle centering could be a consideration in a "minimal trimming" situation.
True, I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually, the comment on axle centering was about the axle movement when stuffed. The front moves up and forward, the rear moves up and back. Depending on where the tires are contacting, I was thinking that axle centering could be a consideration in a "minimal trimming" situation.
and that misunderstanding was on my part lol

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-08-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I understood what you were trying to say...
Old 07-09-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll either have to cut, replace or add more bump stop.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. So I found out that on the front, my tires contact the fenders 1-5/8" before the bump stops bottom out. The rear leaves 1-3/4" before the bump stops bottom out. That means I'd have to trim 2" off them to be on the safe side and keep them trimmed the same. I don't know if the fenders will look good to me with that much material. Guess I'll have to cut them and find out.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You accounted for the bumpstops mashing together? Or you may be taking a little more off the fenders than you figured? (hopefully they bottom out before the shocks do)

If you end up not liking the look of the chopped flares and want to go back to stock, watch your local craigslist. People upgrade and just want to get them out of the garage. I am on my 3rd set of black flares (started with sahara painted, so 4th set), and have paid a total of $100.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
Thanks guys. So I found out that on the front, my tires contact the fenders 1-5/8" before the bump stops bottom out. The rear leaves 1-3/4" before the bump stops bottom out. That means I'd have to trim 2" off them to be on the safe side and keep them trimmed the same. I don't know if the fenders will look good to me with that much material. Guess I'll have to cut them and find out.
Earlier you said you had 2" bumpstop extensions installed with the lift. People have said that 4" bumpstop extensions would be recommended. You just measured and found that you have less then 2" where the tires hit the fender before the bumpstops touch. My pathetic math skills would say that the people recommending 4" bump stop extensions are spot on. Just change bumpstops then you wont have to cut your fenders. Here I'll even help you out.

Fronts #8057-40 SYNERGY MANUFACTURING :: Jeep JK :: Synergy Jeep JK, TJ, XJ, ZJ Front Bump Stop Spacer Kit
Rear #8058-40 SYNERGY MANUFACTURING :: Jeep JK :: Synergy Jeep JK Rear Bump Stop Spacer Kit
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdash
Earlier you said you had 2" bumpstop extensions installed with the lift. People have said that 4" bumpstop extensions would be recommended. You just measured and found that you have less then 2" where the tires hit the fender before the bumpstops touch. My pathetic math skills would say that the people recommending 4" bump stop extensions are spot on. Just change bumpstops then you wont have to cut your fenders. Here I'll even help you out.

Fronts #8057-40 SYNERGY MANUFACTURING*::*Jeep JK*::*Synergy Jeep JK, TJ, XJ, ZJ Front Bump Stop Spacer Kit
Rear #8058-40 SYNERGY MANUFACTURING*::*Jeep JK*::*Synergy Jeep JK Rear Bump Stop Spacer Kit
Yeah, they were pretty much dead on. I think for now, I am just gonna go with extended bumps. I'm eventually going to have to do something about the fenders though because, if I'm seeing it correctly, I'm losing 2" of potential suspension travel. Thanks for the links
Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could I just run taller bump extensions and run different shocks that give me more down travel to make up for the lost up travel? (if that makes any sense to you all) If so, how would I go about determining what shocks I need? Would it be a matter of just measuring mounting point to mounting point at full suspension compression or....??? And in that case, is it likely that I'll have to restrain the springs in to keep them from coming off the perches? A lot of questions, I know, sorry for picking your brains, guys.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

meet some people in your area and have them explain stuff in person. Did you buy it built up? Just curious how you have such a built rig but know nothing about jeeps.

Just put on longer bumpstops and shock extensions in the rear, they are $18 on ebay. You could buy new shocks but a lot more expensive - to do that just take them off and measure eyelet to eyelet of the mounts (gotta estimate the upper mount since you'll be taking it off). That's your collapsed length, look for shocks with that collapsed length and try to get the longest extended length you can.

Trimming the rear fenders takes no time at all and looks better than stock imo, but the stock extensions on ebay are a good deal. Just search "jk shock extensions" and they should come up.

As for your coils - you can buy spring retainers but if I were you I would wait to see if you actually need them, I wouldn't assume you do, it depends on the springs you have. If you have dual rate you probably won't need them, basic linear theres a good chance you will

Quick Reply: 37's ripping fenders off on 6" lift