Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "ticking" noise thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "ticking" noise thread - edit: solved

I read several noise threads but didn't see or flat-out missed any on this specific issue. I've got an '07 2 door 6 speed with about 40000 miles that is perfectly quiet for about the first 30 or 40 minutes of a drive (including any trip from home to a shop) but if I go to the mountains it develops a loud ticking sound either in gear or with the clutch out by the time I reach a trail. It sounds like a very fast second hand on a wind-up watch. If I put the clutch down or let the Jeep sit for a night, it goes away. I get it in 2 wheel drive, 4 hi and 4 low. When its cold, the clutch does pop sometimes when I depress the pedal. I took it to a shop who said its a bearing and time for a new clutch, but the quote was a shock so I'm not ready to sign off on that yet. The dealer is looking at in on Friday for a second opinion. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I put this question into the Modified Tech in case any of my mods are related to the noise, but feel free to move it if its the wrong spot.

Thanks.

8/25/1- edit: After going to a few shops, I got the best price from the dealer (Go on Broadway in Denver) for a new clutch assembly and that solved the problem. It was the throwout bearing but I decided to go for a whole new assembly given the small difference in labor costs of just the TO bearing vs the clutch.

Last edited by T Mac; 08-25-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added answer

Quick Reply: Another "ticking" noise thread