Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 inch suspension 2 inch coil lift

Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 inch suspension 2 inch coil lift

I know having a 4 inch suspension lift you don't have to change your drive shafts but by adding a 2 inch coil lift would you have to changeout your dive shafts because technically that would be 6 inches of lift....
Old 07-20-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

And the question is?

So you have a 4" coil lift now.
You haven't lost a driveshaft - 'yet'.
And you want to add 2" coils to the current 4" coils...

Old 07-20-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

K ass hole! I said I want to get a 4 inch suspension lift (you don't have to change your drive shafts for a 4 inch lift) and I'd like to add a 2 inch coil lift to that to total 6 inches of complete lift. My question is adding that 2 inches of coil will that push me to have to get longer drive shafts?
Old 07-20-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at 4 inch you should have drive shafts if you plan to use it slightly so yes id say at 6" id add that to the hell yeah i need list...
Old 07-20-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

OP yes you should get new driveshafts even with 3+ inches of lift. I myself am getting a new front driveshaft even with my 2.5 RK lift.

-What 4 inch lift are you looking at?
-Are you actually going to wheel your Jeep or is it just going to be driven around the streets ?
-What size tires do you plan on running with that size lift?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by lindsayymarie12
K ass hole! I said I want to get a 4 inch suspension lift (you don't have to change your drive shafts for a 4 inch lift) and I'd like to add a 2 inch coil lift to that to total 6 inches of complete lift. My question is adding that 2 inches of coil will that push me to have to get longer drive shafts?
Woah, before you go around calling people assholes, you need to make it clearer what you're looking for. You never said you wanted a 4" lift, you said you know having one doesnt requires new DS's. It seems as if you currently have a 4 inch lift, and you are looking to add a 2" coil SPACER. Is this correct?

Ideally, you should get new drive shafts with 3" of lift. If yours have survived with 4" of lift, consider yourself lucky. You will, however, undoubtedly require new shafts with 6" of lift.

There is a lot involved in a 6" lift (8 new control arms, drive shafts, drag link flip, adjustable track bars, etc.). Are you sure that is the route you want to go? What tires do you want to run? What kind of usage will this see?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

One brand of lift at 4 inches is different than another brands. Also depends on your Jeep two door or four door do you have heavy bumpers and a rule is much anything over 3inches of lift you are on borrowed time if you wheel. You can get along for a longer time if you don't wheel hardly at all. Also don't be so cryptic with your question or you will get a asshole response since lift questions get posted all the damn time.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
OP yes you should get new driveshafts even with 3+ inches of lift. I myself am getting a new front driveshaft even with my 2.5 RK lift. -What 4 inch lift are you looking at? -Are you actually going to wheel your Jeep or is it just going to be driven around the streets ? -What size tires do you plan on running with that size lift?

Zone or rubicon express, and yes more than a little but it is my daily driver, and tire size 35-37.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

Zone or rubicon express, and yes more than a little but it is my daily driver, and tire size 35-37.
Save yourself a big headache and stick to around 3.5". It requires a lot less work, and can be done cheaper, allowing for higher quality coils/shocks. You will find a lot of negative reviews for the zone and RE lifts.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Heres my 2.5 Rock Krawler X Factor lift and the DIY stock fender chop up mod on 35s. As you can see i can still fit 37s. 4inch lift and 37s will look nice but going up to 6inch will be too much IMO. Also if you do plan on wheeling your Jeep you may want to do a little more researching on things you might want to do in order to run 37s on the trail. Some guys get lucky and don't beef up their axles to run 37s and some are un lucky and run into a lot of problems or break stuff.

What is your overall budget that you are looking at roughly? This will give us an idea of how realistic it will be to achieving what you think you will get out of that budget.

My Jeep where it stands im already looking at an easily 5k in parts.

Originally Posted by D_engel
Save yourself a big headache and stick to around 3.5". It requires a lot less work, and can be done cheaper, allowing for higher quality coils/shocks. You will find a lot of negative reviews for the zone and RE lifts.
x2

Last edited by mhockey9090; 07-20-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 4 inch suspension 2 inch coil lift