Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" Long arm fit 40's?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Long arm fit 40's?

I've been trying to search around and see what everyone is running with 40's and everyone seems to be all over the place as far as what they are running. im looking for a good kit that will give me good articulation and be able to fit 40's while keeping a LCG. my main choice is the Teraflex 4" Long Arm LCG kit. Help me out if you can. i would like some feedback from you all, seeing as how im younger i know you all know a lot more than i do

TIA
Old 09-29-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you're really not asking the right questions. Lift height doesn't matter for the most part. It's more about how much metal you need to cut. You don't want to lose very much uptravel (then you are losing "articulation").

A long arm kit really isn't going to help anything unless you plan on going to 14" of travel or greater.

I assume you are using full width axles? The frame gets in the way of the tires...

You're asking some very basic questions for project that is very complex. Going past 37s on a JK is a lot of work.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Well, you're really not asking the right questions. Lift height doesn't matter for the most part. It's more about how much metal you need to cut. You don't want to lose very much uptravel (then you are losing "articulation").

A long arm kit really isn't going to help anything unless you plan on going to 14" of travel or greater.

I assume you are using full width axles? The frame gets in the way of the tires...

You're asking some very basic questions for project that is very complex. Going past 37s on a JK is a lot of work.
thats why im on here, because i dont know what i am getting myself into. im buying currie RJ 60's and would like to run 40's. not worried about cutting. really just need help with picking the right setup for a lift with a lcg.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by csthibeau
I've been trying to search around and see what everyone is running with 40's and everyone seems to be all over the place as far as what they are running. im looking for a good kit that will give me good articulation and be able to fit 40's while keeping a LCG. my main choice is the Teraflex 4" Long Arm LCG kit. Help me out if you can. i would like some feedback from you all, seeing as how im younger i know you all know a lot more than i do

TIA
You can run our 4" or 6" Long Arm kit for that size of tires. The nice thing about the 6" kit is that it comes with the TeraFlex #1600440 flip drag link kit and the TeraFlex #1754418 rear adjustable trackbar. TeraFlex also offers Tera60 axle to go along with this setup.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us.

Joe
Old 09-29-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

thats why im on here, because i dont know what i am getting myself into. im buying currie RJ 60's and would like to run 40's. not worried about cutting. really just need help with picking the right setup for a lift with a lcg.
Sounds like you're ready to do the work - that is the right first step.

With the axles, you'll want wider than stock and a full float rear. How wide depends on wheel backspace and your desire to avoid clearance issues. I'd go 70" wms to wms or greater.

At the very least, you'll want to run flat fenders. If you can fab your own or use something like the metalcloak overline fenders, you can gain more uptravel/total travel as you will need less bump stop.

No need to run more than 4" of lift. Again, I think a long-arm is not really going to make a difference unless you are going to long travel coilovers. The JKs are a mid-arm stock (not like the TJ short-arm). If you're going to do the work of a long arm, you're better to build your own suspension and get exactly what you want. Just remember that lift height has virtually no impact on travel.

In terms of travel, the metalcloak springs have the most travel (measured as compressed to free length). You can get nearly 14" out of the 3.5" springs. They ride sweet as well.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Sounds like you're ready to do the work - that is the right first step. With the axles, you'll want wider than stock and a full float rear. How wide depends on wheel backspace and your desire to avoid clearance issues. I'd go 70" wms to wms or greater. At the very least, you'll want to run flat fenders. If you can fab your own or use something like the metalcloak overline fenders, you can gain more uptravel/total travel as you will need less bump stop. No need to run more than 4" of lift. Again, I think a long-arm is not really going to make a difference unless you are going to long travel coilovers. The JKs are a mid-arm stock (not like the TJ short-arm). If you're going to do the work of a long arm, you're better to build your own suspension and get exactly what you want. Just remember that lift height has virtually no impact on travel. In terms of travel, the metalcloak springs have the most travel (measured as compressed to free length). You can get nearly 14" out of the 3.5" springs. They ride sweet as well.
Thanks for the info! I'll keep doing my research. I saw this guys picture on Instagram and it's just too big if that makes sense. It's a 5.5" long arm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2884280187.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	577796  
Old 09-29-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the info! I'll keep doing my research. I saw this guys picture on Instagram and it's just too big if that makes sense. It's a 5.5" long arm.
That much lift is for mall crawlers. Not functional and creates all kinds of issues.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Long arms on JKs start to pay off at around 3.5" lift. Much more stable, and basically eliminate axle steer. Will allow a lot more wheel travel, so your shock options go up, too. You can get close with a standard length arm by using front drop brackets, but nothing tops a quality long arm once you get past 3". With other changes you can even run a LCG setup long arm at 3".
Old 09-30-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Skip the "kits" and go full custom long arms. Look up Ringer, Mertz, vfireman39, cj that went jk, co4low, abendex. These builds are all worth looking at as far as custom builds. Lots of work but come the rewards just realize that going this route will cost a bunch and will make the jeep nearly unsellable without a huge loss.

I am at about 3.5" of lift with 40's on a double triangulated set up.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 09-30-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

For a LCG build check the 3.5" MetalCloak Game Changer out if you're planning to wheel it. You can run 40's with it and flat fenders. Plus you get a lot of flex. It's not a long arm though.

If you go custom I'd listen to Dirtman above. He knows his stuff well.

Quick Reply: 4" Long arm fit 40's?