Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.13 or 4.88 Installer doesn't want to do 5.13

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Refer to pictures of my front D44 6 months after going to 37" MTRs on beadlocks. And I'm a light two door
No computer at home just on an iphone don't think I can view your pics probably a good thing.... Cause I'm too afraid to look lol

Last edited by robsjeep9; 01-23-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
No computer at home just on an iphone don't think I can view your pics probably a good thing.... Cause I'm too afraid to look lol
how much did your old wheels weigh? Trail readys are supposed to weigh about 33lbs each. About 6lbs more per wheel than my current wheels.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading this thread is hilarious. Whatever you do, don't modify a D30 AT ALL because it's a delicate flower that only grows on the 5th Saturday of February, according to these guys!!! LOL!!!

The D30 is a fairly week axle. There is plenty of documented proof of that. BUT! you can still run 37's and 5.13 gears if you don't wheel too hard. Easy on the loud pedal and don't "shock the axle". My buddy wheels with me quite a bit with a heavy (roof rack, ARB fridge, storage boxes, family of 4, etc, etc) JKU on 37" tires, 5.13's, sleeved, gusseted, RCV'd, etc. He may choose not to tackle some of the more difficult obstacles but he is still out wheeling it and enjoying himself. We've done some knarly stuff and if he feels the front end start to hop, he lets off the gas and picks another line or isn't afraid to pull out the rope. Don't let these guys freak you out. Just don't expect to go up to a rock ledge and hammer the go pedal, shit will break, lol.

As far as 4.88 or 5.13. Being as you have a 6 spd. You could do 4.88's and be ok. If you live in an area with lots of hills then I'd recommend 5.13's.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^^but don't you think your friend would be having more fun if he was on smaller tires and didn't have to constantly be worrying if his axle was going to give out?

Last edited by Stubicon; 01-30-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran the same wheels and tires with a D30 and locked with 5.13's. Not an issue. When i did upgrade it wasnt because i destroyed my d30 or that it just fell apart. I got a great deal on a prorock. Sold the d30 with the 5.13s and lockers with Synergy ball joints and sleeves for a lil more since it had that stuff on it. Yes the wheels are very heavy, but just know what you got when you wheel. If you have the cash to drop on some crazy D60's or ProRock 80's go for it. But dont limit yourself because of other peoples issues. Shit brakes no matter what it is, it is a Jeep that gets beat on. Easy on the skinny pedal but wheel it and have a blast!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexyJK
I ran the same wheels and tires with a D30 and locked with 5.13's. Not an issue. When i did upgrade it wasnt because i destroyed my d30 or that it just fell apart. I got a great deal on a prorock. Sold the d30 with the 5.13s and lockers with Synergy ball joints and sleeves for a lil more since it had that stuff on it. Yes the wheels are very heavy, but just know what you got when you wheel. If you have the cash to drop on some crazy D60's or ProRock 80's go for it. But dont limit yourself because of other peoples issues. Shit brakes no matter what it is, it is a Jeep that gets beat on. Easy on the skinny pedal but wheel it and have a blast!
You're confident. I can very easily write up a simple contract that for a nominal up front fee, you'll warranty the OPs axle. How about he pays you $50 and you insure his axle? I mean, that's $50 in your pocket and you know for sure he won't have an problems.

A member of my club listened to people like you. Axle blew up. Jeep sat for 7 months until he pulled enough money together to fix it. Some of us can throw money at broken parts, some can't. And before you comment "if he can't afford to fix it, then...", consider why he posted. He's looking for people like you to tell him it will be fine.

"Easy on the skinny" is pure stupid. I was easy on the skinny and I blew a D44. You can be easy and tires spin, hook up hard and snap.

Oh, I have less invested in my two axles that are stronger than PR60s than you have in a PR44. It doesn't take money to do it right, it takes intelligence.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're confident. I can very easily write up a simple contract that for a nominal up front fee, you'll warranty the OPs axle. How about he pays you $50 and you insure his axle? I mean, that's $50 in your pocket and you know for sure he won't have an problems.

A member of my club listened to people like you. Axle blew up. Jeep sat for 7 months until he pulled enough money together to fix it. Some of us can throw money at broken parts, some can't. And before you comment "if he can't afford to fix it, then...", consider why he posted. He's looking for people like you to tell him it will be fine.

"Easy on the skinny" is pure stupid. I was easy on the skinny and I blew a D44. You can be easy and tires spin, hook up hard and snap.

Oh, I have less invested in my two axles that are stronger than PR60s than you have in a PR44. It doesn't take money to do it right, it takes intelligence.
Touché ...........
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate your opinion and I'm sure others do too. Congrats on your strong axles. Bummer you had a tuff time with the 44. Maybe you could help the guy out if it's such a big deal to you and build him some bomb proof axles that never break. I mean why should he enjoy his jeep? Should he stay home and just stare at it until someone like you comes along and says ok now you can actually drive your Jeep because all the parts I broke are not on yours. Sucks about your Jeep buddy. Are you trying to say it's my fault he broke something? I guess I should say I also have a friend that bought brand new D60's and busted some teeth off his ring gear when other inferior axles did just fine. Still not sure why this bothers you so much. The OP asked for opinions and experiences so I gave him mine which clearly made you upset. In any case I hope the OP makes the best decision for himself.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexyJK
I appreciate your opinion and I'm sure others do too. Congrats on your strong axles. Bummer you had a tuff time with the 44. Maybe you could help the guy out if it's such a big deal to you and build him some bomb proof axles that never break. I mean why should he enjoy his jeep? Should he stay home and just stare at it until someone like you comes along and says ok now you can actually drive your Jeep because all the parts I broke are not on yours. Sucks about your Jeep buddy. Are you trying to say it's my fault he broke something? I guess I should say I also have a friend that bought brand new D60's and busted some teeth off his ring gear when other inferior axles did just fine. Still not sure why this bothers you so much. The OP asked for opinions and experiences so I gave him mine which clearly made you upset. In any case I hope the OP makes the best decision for himself.
No, you're missing the point. Run what the equipment is made for. 95% of people with 37s don't need them. Sure, they look sweet, I get that. Why go to the hassle of building a D30 and praying it doesn't blow just to run tires you don't need or cant afford to run correctly? Second point is not to give persuasive data. Is your experience a useful data point? Yes. Just don't imply that it works for everyone. You know as well as I do that D30s are blowing up all over these days. Your original message clearly implied it's fine to run 5.13s in a D30. We all know that's high risk when combined with 37s. Even more so with mega heavy double beadlocks and military tires.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

In all reality folks there are more people running 37's on stock axles that have not broken anything then there are who have. If you wanted to do a real world ratio.

Quick Reply: 5.13 or 4.88 Installer doesn't want to do 5.13