Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.13 gears with Dana 30

Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnBelay
That being said, Superchips (or equivalent) is crucial with any re-gear or change in tire diameter if you have an automatic transmission. You need to correct your shift points! Even with a manual transmission, it's a good idea to have your mileage and speedo correct.

-Dawn
Should I just call the shop that is doing the regear to install the superchip at the same time? How much would that add to cost? Sorry, I am a newbie and do not know anything about a superchip. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Superchips is a hand-held tuner. It's portable and plugs into your OBD port. You can buy one from Northridge 4x4 and do the tune/programming yourself. They cost around $350ish. I haven't checked prices in a while.

Anyhow, the Superchips has a lot of neat features, but specific to your situation it will allow you to adjust the Jeep's computer to reflect new gear and tire sizes. If you don't do this adjustment, your speedometer will be incorrect and your shift points (in case of an automatic) will be way off as well.

-Dawn
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Geep 2010
Should I just call the shop that is doing the regear to install the superchip at the same time? How much would that add to cost? Sorry, I am a newbie and do not know anything about a superchip. Thanks for any info.
As Dawn indicated, with new tires and/or gears, the speedo, odo and shift points will be off if you don't recalibrate. (haven't seen anything concrete to back it up, but I believe that there are some legal issues with your odo being inaccurate?) There are a few options available to correct it, just do a little research to see which one is right for you.

The two most popular:
AEV ProCal - cheapest, lots of great functions, but no tuning
Superchips Flashpaq - more expensive, lots of great functions, has several tuning options

Some others to check out:
Hypertech -
Diablo -
Dealership - used to only be able to program up to 32". There have been a few posts indicating that this may have changed and they can do 35's? Might be an option if they do it for free. Definitely look into your own programmer if they charge...
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about running 4.88? Will I have to balance all those do-hickeys and worry about blowing up offroad?!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
What about running 4.88? Will I have to balance all those do-hickeys and worry about blowing up offroad?!
any time you change gears or tire size, you need to recalibrate your speedometer. in other words, yes, you will need at the very least an aev procal but, a superchips or hypertech will do more for you.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
Any tire height or gear ratio change will affect the computer/speedo/odo/shift points/mpg's/etc. Correct it. Or don't...
Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OnBelay
Superchips is a hand-held tuner. It's portable and plugs into your OBD port. You can buy one from Northridge 4x4 and do the tune/programming yourself. They cost around $350ish. I haven't checked prices in a while.

Anyhow, the Superchips has a lot of neat features, but specific to your situation it will allow you to adjust the Jeep's computer to reflect new gear and tire sizes. If you don't do this adjustment, your speedometer will be incorrect and your shift points (in case of an automatic) will be way off as well.

-Dawn
Superchips it is then. Gonna buy it this week. Thanks for info.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5.13s, and auto, and 35s. I could not be happier. When I did the upgrade from the factory 4.10s it was a noticable differance with a whole new driving feel. Not to mention the less stress on the drivetrain as whole. Got the gears from Northridge and they are great, the shop that installed them said they set up easy and were good quality. Im @ 20K miles with no problems.

I run about 2300 RPM on the interstate @ 70mph. If I drive like a grandma I get about 16.7-17 mpgs hwy, on the 91 superchip tune.

I was getting about 15mpg hwy with the 4.10s and no superchips.

I have also had no other driveline problems and wheel frequently, but I am light on the gas and take notice not to run the front axle too hard. I plan on keeping it open for now.

Here is a link that I have found very informative about the whole new gears thing....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?82262-Gearing

good luck !

Originally Posted by snopro269
Anyone on here have an automatic, 35's and 5.13 gears?!? I was wondering real time RPM on the highway! I don't do much freeway riding and I'm trying to decide between 5.13 or 5.38! I had someone last week give me RPM figures with 5.38 I am looking to see if I can get some figures fr 5.13

Last edited by jeepmedic; 01-09-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 AM
JK Newbie

see of this helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110110_054701.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	116477  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

GET 5.13!!! I just got them put on today... couldnt be happier!!! in city driving is much improved! havent had a chance to test high way too much yet... Definately worth the price! Get them with Dave at Northridge!!

Quick Reply: 5.13 gears with Dana 30