Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident Advice :(

Old 03-23-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident Advice :(

So I was on my way to work yesterday in my JK, minding my own business and a lady ran a red light, pulling right in front of me. I was able to slow and swerve enough that I didn't straight on t-bone her (which probably would have killed her), instead I hit her at about a 45deg angle, initially impacting with my passenger front tire. Everyone was ok and walked away... except for my Jeep. There was some damage to the fender/wheel well and looked like minor body damage, but the worst was the suspension.

I've got a 4" Teraflex long arm lift running 37"s, and the impact bent the wheel, broke the the shock mount and control arm. A quick look from the top and it seems like a minor accident, but I'm concerned about the amount of damage underneath.

I'm wondering what issues I need to check or watch out for and what I should be looking for in a repair shop? Should I be taking it to a suspension shop for that damage and a separate body shop for the rest? Will a regular body shop know what to do with the custom suspension to make it right?

The lift, tires and drivelines were installed by Teraflex, but they no longer have a service shop, so I'm not sure the best place to take it. The Jeep has been prefect with no death wobble, vibration or weird tire wear and I want to be sure it gets back to that same condition.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GumbyDammit
So I was on my way to work yesterday in my JK, minding my own business and a lady ran a red light, pulling right in front of me. I was able to slow and swerve enough that I didn't straight on t-bone her (which probably would have killed her), instead I hit her at about a 45deg angle, initially impacting with my passenger front tire. Everyone was ok and walked away... except for my Jeep. There was some damage to the fender/wheel well and looked like minor body damage, but the worst was the suspension.

I've got a 4" Teraflex long arm lift running 37"s, and the impact bent the wheel, broke the the shock mount and control arm. A quick look from the top and it seems like a minor accident, but I'm concerned about the amount of damage underneath.

I'm wondering what issues I need to check or watch out for and what I should be looking for in a repair shop? Should I be taking it to a suspension shop for that damage and a separate body shop for the rest? Will a regular body shop know what to do with the custom suspension to make it right?

The lift, tires and drivelines were installed by Teraflex, but they no longer have a service shop, so I'm not sure the best place to take it. The Jeep has been prefect with no death wobble, vibration or weird tire wear and I want to be sure it gets back to that same condition.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks!!
What a bummer! From my experience, you are definitely better off having an off road shop repair the suspension bits and driveline, especially with a highly modified set up like this. Insurance companies can be kind of cagey when working with off road shops, talk to your insurance company and take their temperature as far as taking it to an off-road shop so you don't get off on the wrong foot with your rep. Take it to someone who is professional and has a good reputation with experience working with insurance companies.

If you were closer I would invite you to visit us and have us take a look at it. Best of luck to you! Sorry to hear about your troubles but at least no one got hurt.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Having a mount torn off would easily twist up a frame. You need to find a bodyshop with a frame machine, preferably a newer one with computer and laser capabilities to measure it and find the full extent of the damage. There was another thread on here about someone who got hit in their JK and I gave a bunch of advice that I don't have the time to rewrite at this point.

Cliff notes: You can take your Jeep wherever you want to take it. If you have a good insurance guy, or girl, they might have some suggestions for you as they deal with this regularly. Involve your insurance as that's what you pay them for. Last go round there were a bunch of people giving advice to go at it alone. Not a good plan in this case. Sounds cliche, but depending on the hit, a trip to the doc for a checkup might not be a bad plan either.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's the thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...grades-340550/
Old 03-23-2017, 08:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
Having a mount torn off would easily twist up a frame. You need to find a bodyshop with a frame machine, preferably a newer one with computer and laser capabilities to measure it and find the full extent of the damage. There was another thread on here about someone who got hit in their JK and I gave a bunch of advice that I don't have the time to rewrite at this point.

Cliff notes: You can take your Jeep wherever you want to take it. If you have a good insurance guy, or girl, they might have some suggestions for you as they deal with this regularly. Involve your insurance as that's what you pay them for. Last go round there were a bunch of people giving advice to go at it alone. Not a good plan in this case. Sounds cliche, but depending on the hit, a trip to the doc for a checkup might not be a bad plan either.
This is all true. An good off shop should be able to spot instances where the frame is bent and needs attention. Definitely make the insurance companies work, just make sure you take it to someone who speaks "lifted Jeep" who can also speak to your insurance company. I have had many customers come to me after being given the roundabout at a standard repair shop and insurance, often it pays to do a little groundwork first. This isn't a Camry.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:28 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club lol

Old 03-23-2017, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
What a bummer! From my experience, you are definitely better off having an off road shop repair the suspension bits and driveline, especially with a highly modified set up like this. Insurance companies can be kind of cagey when working with off road shops, talk to your insurance company and take their temperature as far as taking it to an off-road shop so you don't get off on the wrong foot with your rep. Take it to someone who is professional and has a good reputation with experience working with insurance companies.

If you were closer I would invite you to visit us and have us take a look at it. Best of luck to you! Sorry to hear about your troubles but at least no one got hurt.
I talked to my insurance guy today and he said something similar. He suggested taking it to the body shop I want and then have them coordinate and work with a qualified suspension shop. He said they might get rattled if I have it taken straight to a suspension shop first. I'll be in your neck of the woods later this year, but hopefully it will be all good by then!

Thanks for the advice & yeah, its definitely not a Camry! lol
Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jordy
Thanks for your advice as well jordy, I'll read through that thread too, I appreciate you digging it up!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Welcome to the club lol

Thanks... I think

Quick Reply: Accident Advice :(