Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added RAM mounts to the dash

Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Added RAM mounts to the dash

Decided to mount up the tablet and GPS today. Next step will be adding some integrated 2.1a USB ports just behind the dash pocket to keep all the wires out of view. Let the pictures begin:

Old 03-25-2015, 07:42 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Great idea. Looks good, simple, & clean.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 PM
DJ1
Former Member

quick question, to remove that dash panel it's just 3 screws correct? The 1 on top and then the 2 on each side of the steering wheel after you pull the lower panel underneath the steering wheel...
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default RAM Mounts

Do the RAM mounts hold the devices nice and solidly? Do they vibrate a lot while driving? I have a metal AMPS bracket that flops like a fish over bumps. I think I need a better solution and yours looks nice! Thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
quick question, to remove that dash panel it's just 3 screws correct? The 1 on top and then the 2 on each side of the steering wheel after you pull the lower panel underneath the steering wheel...
Couple of youtube videos out there detailing the screw locations but the basics are:

1. Pull out/down on the top left and right edges of the panel below the steering wheel. This parts is "hinged" at the bottom and will pull away to reveal four 7mm screws. Remove these screws.

2. Pull out the pocket between the two air vents under the radio (or the power window switches if you have that). This will reveal another 7mm that needs to come out. If you have trouble pulling the window switches (the pocket pops right out) I've seen a few videos where they show removing all the other screws first, pulling the dash away just a bit and then reaching behind to push the switches out. Might give you a little more leverage. Just don't go crazy and pull apart the power window wiring harness. Electrical repairs are my pet peeve.

3. Pull the rubber liner out of the pocket on the top of the dash, this will reveal the last 7mm that needs to come out.

4. Pull the dash toward you, not up, not right or left, not down. Directly toward you, all the clips holding it in place go straight in and out, no angles. Having the steering wheel lowered all the way down helps a little to give you room to pull the panel out.

Originally Posted by JKUR07
Do the RAM mounts hold the devices nice and solidly? Do they vibrate a lot while driving? I have a metal AMPS bracket that flops like a fish over bumps. I think I need a better solution and yours looks nice! Thanks
Haven't done any off roading since I mounted them up today but I can tell you I had that 60csx mounted in the same holder on my KLR 650 motorcycle and it stayed perfectly in place even when jumping the bike 2 or 3 feet in the air on forestry service roads. Never had a problem with the RAM mounts and vibration. Considering that on the bike I was running forestry service roads at 55 mph and in the Jeep I'll probably be doing under 25 mph I don't foresee any problems. That being said ebay is your friend for RAM parts. Use their website to find the part numbers you're looking for and then find someone unloading them on Ebay. They're good stuff but not worth the outrageous prices RAM charges directly. I've got less than $35 in the setup pictured here.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Thanks I've done it before but that was 2.5 years ago. Couldn't remember if it was more than 3 screws or not

You just gave me an idea to use that area for something else...
Old 03-25-2015, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Sweet! Pictures when you're done!

My next addition will be a couple of these:

Made sure there was room to mount them just behind the pocket while I was digging around up there. Going to be tight but it should work. The 2.1a that provides should keep the tablet charged up even while running wifi/bluetooth/gps and the Backcountry Navigation.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gallowbraid
Sweet! Pictures when you're done!

My next addition will be a couple of these:

Made sure there was room to mount them just behind the pocket while I was digging around up there. Going to be tight but it should work. The 2.1a that provides should keep the tablet charged up even while running wifi/bluetooth/gps and the Backcountry Navigation.
That looks pretty sweet. WHere did you find that?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Da20captain
That looks pretty sweet. WHere did you find that?
Here's one option: LINK

If you search amazon or ebay for "12v 2.1a flush mount" there are a number of options that come up. A couple have built in voltmeters for keeping an eye of the battery voltage as well.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my ram mounts. Have them in all my rides including my 4 wheeler for my magellan meridian gps and sealed case for iphone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2545853673.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	603319  

Quick Reply: Added RAM mounts to the dash