Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise for gear change

Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advise for gear change

Was looking into getting 5.13 gears for my jeep. Got a 3.5” life with 35” wheels. The price for the gears aren’t so bad but looking at the forums it seems to be that everyone has an auto shop do it for them and the price ranging from 1000-2000. Thats a pretty penny for a gear change. I saw a someone post a pretty detailed thread on how to do it yourself. I installed my own lift but this seemed a little tougher. So for the people who have done it themselves. How was it? could you describe the difficulty, time, and anything els relevant to changing it yourself. To the people who didn’t change it themselves. Did you not do it because of time or because of difficulty or something else? Also the price you got it done for, I’m in the clearwater area if that is relevant. Last, for both what are all the advantages you got after changing them or getting them charged. Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my carriers to a transmission shop to the the bearings pressed for like $40 for both. A case spreader would have been nice but not needed. Shimming and checking the backlash was not that bad, gear paint to check contact. It can be done at home make sure you get a few pans for gear oil. Use lube lockers and only use full synthetic gear oil.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I took my carriers to a transmission shop to the the bearings pressed for like $40 for both. A case spreader would have been nice but not needed. Shimming and checking the backlash was not that bad, gear paint to check contact. It can be done at home make sure you get a few pans for gear oil. Use lube lockers and only use full synthetic gear oil.
Thanks you, this helps a lot. How long did it take you to do each one? Was any special tools involved.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

If it's not your DD, try it. I drive mine daily so I paid $1,200 total for a regear, including the price of the Yukon gears.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a gear head though. What may seem easy for me probably is not easy for a regular person. I have military training on how to completely disassemble a remote controlled desiel mine sweeper on tracks then put it back together again. We took it apart and put it back together twice to pass the class. Yep it sucked bad.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Around DFW it seems like the going rate for the labor is $750 - $1250. One way to look at it is if you pay to have them done, and something goes wrong 500 miles down the road, you have a warranty to fall back on. If you do them yourself and eff em up, gonna cost another new set of gears and a lot more time. I would say that if you are adventurous, AND it's not your DD, have a go at it. You'll mainly need a press for the bearings, a good caliper for determining shims, good impact, and a good dial indicator. Working on the floor would kinda suck tbh.

I just got re-geared....had a buddy with a shop help me.....did the grunt work along the way, saw the process, but actually had an experienced person help determine the shims and help here/there when needed. I'm no mechanic, but I'm damn handy and like to do all the work on my jeep. Even seeing this process first hand step by step, I personally wouldn't care to do it myself. I now understand what they always told me......it's really not THAT hard as long as everything goes smoothly. It's when something DOESN'T go smoothly that the whole thing becomes a pain. My rear was one of those that did not go smoothly. I'd say that for 95% of the people out there.....it's best to pay someone who does it regularly....unless you can afford both the time and money to experiment with.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done one before myself with the help of a buddy, and am currently building front and rear Rubicon axles for my Sport. It is not hard, but having someone with experience will help. You will need a press, micrometer, dial indicating gauge, torque wrench, and a someway to hold the pinion nut to torque it down (I use a long piece of angle iron with holes drilled for the u-joint). If you take your time to get the measurements correct it isn't bad at all. Mess it up and it will be painful.

No experience and no help= shop install

Experienced buddy, beer, and mechanical skills=have at it and learn something that scares a lot of people.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't do it yourself man. $500-$800/axle to have a reputable shop do it. Worth every penny. If $'s an issue and you don't have to 4wd to work every day have them just regear the rear and have them very easily pull the front driveshaft until you can afford to do the front regear
Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BFGMallTerrains
Don't do it yourself man. $500-$800/axle to have a reputable shop do it. Worth every penny. If $'s an issue and you don't have to 4wd to work every day have them just regear the rear and have them very easily pull the front driveshaft until you can afford to do the front regear
Gtfo. Nobody needs your negativity. Just because you don't have the balls - skill - or thirst for knowledge doesn't mean you should discourage others to do so.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Gtfo. Nobody needs your negativity. Just because you don't have the balls - skill - or thirst for knowledge doesn't mean you should discourage others to do so.
You dont have to be a dick about it the op asked for everyones opinion.

Im having my gears done at a shop i dont have a garage and i dont want to do them outside in the cold laying in grass or rocks : P

Last edited by shabbernigdo; 12-06-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Advise for gear change