Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise for gear change

Old 12-06-2016, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These are the same people that sit on their ass and watch someone else on the trail fix their Jeep when something on their axle breaks..... If you want to be that guy don't learn a thing. Just like the people who have their Jeeps aftermarket parts put on by a shop. I'm not saying I built my Jeep but I sure did Bolt all my stuff on.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine with a friend who was a mechanic for Chevy. He had the tools (dial indicator, inch pound torque wrench, hydraulic press) and experience, I would definitely not do it alone the first time. Tools can be rented from auto parts store, but the math involved in setting the pinion depth and backlash can be confusing. After seeing it once you will think "man, that wasn't that bad". Doing it alone I would have ruined something for sure LOL!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
These are the same people that sit on their ass and watch someone else on the trail fix their Jeep when something on their axle breaks..... If you want to be that guy don't learn a thing. Just like the people who have their Jeeps aftermarket parts put on by a shop. I'm not saying I built my Jeep but I sure did Bolt all my stuff on.
I beg to differ. I don't feel comfortable messing with the gears in my Jeep simply because it's very simple to f**k it up, and I have no time to learn. Simple mistake = $ down the drain, and no transportation for at least a few days. I'm not going to attempt to teach myself via the internet.

I also wheel with my buddies, not strangers. If I break something, they still expect that I'll be taking initiative on fixing whatever it is; however, I know that they're there for me if I need a hand.

Pretty ignorant statement for you to assume every Jeep owner should be cookie-cutter in terms of skill set. I paid to have a shop regear my axles...big deal. If I blow my R&P, I'm also smart enough to figure it out and find my way home without relying on others. That's why I bought a winch, and why I carry 200+ lbs of tools in the trunk.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand where people come up with this idea the math involved in gear work is hard? I mean, it is literally basic adding and subtracting... I guess division is needed for setting the final carrier preload? (I.e.: adding .010 shim total/2 = .005 to each side)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I beg to differ. I don't feel comfortable messing with the gears in my Jeep simply because it's very simple to f**k it up, and I have no time to learn. Simple mistake = $ down the drain, and no transportation for at least a few days. I'm not going to attempt to teach myself via the internet. I also wheel with my buddies, not strangers. If I break something, they still expect that I'll be taking initiative on fixing whatever it is; however, I know that they're there for me if I need a hand. Pretty ignorant statement for you to assume every Jeep owner should be cookie-cutter in terms of skill set. I paid to have a shop regear my axles...big deal. If I blow my R&P, I'm also smart enough to figure it out and find my way home without relying on others. That's why I bought a winch, and why I carry 200+ lbs of tools in the trunk.
You carry 200 lbs of tools and don't know how to set up pinion depth or backlash? Really? What could you possibly carry that equates to 200 lbs without even possessing the knowledge to use a dial indicator?
I'm lost here......
Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

How many hours did it take you to master swapping the R&P in your D30? You're making it sound like the average weekend hobby mechanic (almost all JK owners) can and should set up their own gears. People have different priorities

I'm balancing 17 credit hours at school while working 40 hours a week in the office. I'm not going to experiment and learn how to set up gears on my DD when I barely have time to enjoy myself on the weekends.Your attitude towards this topic is so pissy. I spent the $ for the peace of mind, and so I can still enjoy my free time.

I carry 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sockets. A plethora of wrenches, basic tools, electrical components, winch controller, snatch block, air compressor, tow strap, bottle jack, etc. What's your point? Should I swap an LS on my Sunday too just because I have the tools?

This isn't a simple weekend task, like messing with the suspension. Maybe for you it is....but not the average Jeep owner.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I don't understand where people come up with this idea the math involved in gear work is hard? I mean, it is literally basic adding and subtracting... I guess division is needed for setting the final carrier preload? (I.e.: adding .010 shim total/2 = .005 to each side)
Nobody said the math is hard. Reading comprehension goes a long way.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And this is why JK's are the most hated Jeep on the trails. Because more than half of them are Yuppies that cant change out an axle shaft or a blown tire out on the trail. Since I drove a JK I had to earn my respect in my club Most of them are in YJ's or TJ's running 60's with LS swaps hydro steer and the works. Sad part is most JK owners don't know trail etiquette and go out to places without cell service without a CB or Ham radio. If your serious about this Jeep life you should try to educate yourself on the workings of your Jeep. Maybe we can get some Trail respect as the Yuppies trade their old JK's in for a new Shiny JL
Old 12-07-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

And this is why JK's are the most hated Jeep on the trails. Because more than half of them are Yuppies that cant change out an axle shaft or a blown tire out on the trail. Since I drove a JK I had to earn my respect in my club Most of them are in YJ's or TJ's running 60's with LS swaps hydro steer and the works. Sad part is most JK owners don't know trail etiquette and go out to places without cell service without a CB or Ham radio. If your serious about this Jeep life you should try to educate yourself on the workings of your Jeep. Maybe we can get some Trail respect as the Yuppies trade their old JK's in for a new Shiny JL
This is just stupid. Everyone has different priorities & different skill sets. Some are better at some things than others...I am sure there are certain things you can't do.

The average weekend wheeler doesn't need to be a mechanic. Having general knowledge of your jeep & its maintenance is beneficial but don't bash these yuppies because they've never changed a shaft. As long as they're willing to help & learn when something goes wrong then be the nice guy & help them out without putting them down.

I wheel with a guy who knows jack shit about jeeps but he's always willing to learn & help. I don't wheel with him because he can fix his shit, I wheel with him because he's a great guy & adds to the overall experience.

The JK crowd can be lame but I would rather help an inexperienced yuppie on a trail than a yuppie in a parking lot.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Yet again a stupid argument. I'm not taking my Jeep on the same trails as rigs with 60's, LS swaps, and 40" tires.

For the record I can change out an axle shaft, have a CB, and know the "workings" of my Jeep...except the diffs. Time is money, and I'm not going to spend my time taking on a big project like that with a hectic schedule.

I'm not insecure enough to worry about 'Trail respect' or what others think about me on the trail. I wheel with my buddies, and we have a good time. I don't take being called a yuppie offensive whatsoever. I'm working hard for what I have, and for a better future. I'm so offended :o

Last edited by BoraBora; 12-07-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Advise for gear change