Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV lift and install price in San Diego area

Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEV lift and install price in San Diego area

Looking at getting an AEV 2" spacer lift in the San Diego area.

Got a quote from a jeep dealer who is also an AEV dealer for $894, includes the jack base (very nice of them I guess but they are charging for it.)

Got a quote from a shop for $773, which doesn't include the jack base.

Pretty close in price which I was surprised by. I did get the lifetime warranty on the jeep (2013 Sahara Unlimited) and since the dealer was an authorized AEV dealer/installer I am considering them, even though they are a bit more.

I have read many threads on here about doing it yourself and while I can do some work on my jeep I have arthritis in my hands and they cramp up really bad after cranking away for a while. It is worth it for me to pay to have it done.

So, to the questions...

Is this a good price? Comes out to about $500 for labor and alignment after parts cost of $269.

Also, with the AEV 2" spacer lift would I even consider the geometry control brackets as an additional install? What I can find on their website they only recommend it for standard 2.5" lifts and up. Would this work with a spacer lift and if so would it make the ride any better.

I have picked the AEV because I have read many good reviews on it and looking at this and other forums the prevailing opinion is to choose the lift and tire size for the type of driving you will do. This is my DD and will do some off roading occasionally but not rock crawling. Was not planning on going bigger than a 33" tire once the originals need replacing. Keeping the stock Sahara wheels as I like them.

Let me know what you all think... Always get great and varied advice :-)
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ask them how much they will deduct for 'not' having them do the alignment. Or better yet, ask them how much they charge for alignments before you tell them you do not want it done.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems a bit high as I got a quote of $500 before I did it myself, but we are far apart and rather dependent on the local market.

Since it is inevitable... Someone will recommend Del Ray Customs for the lift.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I can tell from experience as I have installed 3 AEV 2" spacer kits in the last year. the last one took about 3 hours on strawman's 14 jku. price charged $0 not even a 6 pack, it is not hard but you do need a floor jack and I like to have a bottle jack too as well as 4 6 ton jackstands. You do not need nor would you want the geo correction brackets as you do not meet the required height to use them even if you have the 19/60 stock springs. You fall about 1/2" short. I will make you the same offer I made strawman and you make the drive out to Montana I will slap it on for you. I think a reasonable price for install would be no more than $250 as a professional shop should easily have it installed start to finish in under 2 hours. It is a good kit but no better then any other budget 2" kit. I personally think the sway bar link brackets are pathetic and would highly recommend finding a set of rear take offs or get some jks discos.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Ask them how much they will deduct for 'not' having them do the alignment. Or better yet, ask them how much they charge for alignments before you tell them you do not want it done.
Good point. I will def do that. I know I can easily get that from the dealer.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
I can tell from experience as I have installed 3 AEV 2" spacer kits in the last year. the last one took about 3 hours on strawman's 14 jku. price charged $0 not even a 6 pack, it is not hard but you do need a floor jack and I like to have a bottle jack too as well as 4 6 ton jackstands. You do not need nor would you want the geo correction brackets as you do not meet the required height to use them even if you have the 19/60 stock springs. You fall about 1/2" short. I will make you the same offer I made strawman and you make the drive out to Montana I will slap it on for you. I think a reasonable price for install would be no more than $250 as a professional shop should easily have it installed start to finish in under 2 hours. It is a good kit but no better then any other budget 2" kit. I personally think the sway bar link brackets are pathetic and would highly recommend finding a set of rear take offs or get some jks discos.
Thanks for the offer...would like to make a trip out that way some day.

Nice to confirm about the geo brackets.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

I paid $500 in New York for my aev 2.5" dualsport(suspension lift) and geo correction brackets installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerca2
Good point. I will def do that. I know I can easily get that from the dealer.
The ONLY thing they will do is re-center the steering wheel. A crescent wrench and 3 minutes of your time will straighten it. (go up to the write-ups area, click index link at the top, scroll down to either the steering or troubleshooting section, follow the links to the DIY Alignment write-up)

Caster, they can't do anything without adding more parts.
Camber, they can't do anything without adding more parts.
Axle centering, they can't do anything without adding more parts.
Toe, won't change.

If you are worried about it, go find a shop that does free alignment checks just so you have the printout to look at. Then post the numbers and ask for feedback.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etl330
I paid $500 in New York for my aev 2.5" dualsport(suspension lift) and geo correction brackets installed. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got a really good deal. I have this too. The dualsport is $900+ and the geo $90+, not including labor.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by azyjjk
You got a really good deal. I have this too. The dualsport is $900+ and the geo $90+, not including labor.
I'm sorry, I should've been more clear. i paid $500 labor for the install. Bought the lift from Northridge.

Quick Reply: AEV lift and install price in San Diego area