Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV Lift Kit ???

Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go as far to say this. I have had more Rancho suspensions then any other, Jeeps or otherwise. Always a fine product. In fact, they used to sponsor me back in the early 80's. If they had released their long arm for the 2012 JK I would have had it on my rig now. But they didn't and I don't. Next year when I upgrade to long arm I will probably go with Evo since I will be putting 60's under it. Just my 2 cents.

Now pass the Honey please!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho
Never saw the Honey smilie before! Nice touch WOL/ette.
why thank you very much. if you can believe it, i made it myself
Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wayoflife, you said a couple times that the rancho kit was constructed better. Please elaborate. I had been leaning toward the aev 3.5, but now you have me thinking.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orig93gt
Wayoflife, you said a couple times that the rancho kit was constructed better. Please elaborate. I had been leaning toward the aev 3.5, but now you have me thinking.
if you look at the components such as the control arm drop brackets and do a side by side comparison, you will find that the rancho brackets are boxed in and welded together making them a lot stronger. the aev brackets are two separate flimsy pieces of steel that get bolted together and when you're articulated on the trail, they will bend considerably (i have seen it in person). the rancho brackets will not.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
I will go as far to say this. I have had more Rancho suspensions then any other, Jeeps or otherwise. Always a fine product. In fact, they used to sponsor me back in the early 80's. If they had released their long arm for the 2012 JK I would have had it on my rig now. But they didn't and I don't. Next year when I upgrade to long arm I will probably go with Evo since I will be putting 60's under it. Just my 2 cents.

Now pass the Honey please!
Holy cow! I remember e-mailing back and forth a few months back! Funny how things work out, we grabbed a 2012 JK last fall and got our systems dialed in a couple of/few months back. EVO makes great stuff as well, go Dynatracs or the like and never look back.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
why thank you very much. if you can believe it, i made it myself
A craft to you .

Originally Posted by orig93gt
In general, when I hear from our engineers ( biased I know, but remember they are engineers) and shops (randoms across the country) that we build some of the "beefiest" stuff around, I take that as a compliment. In a world that doesn't pertain to Jeeps, we are one of the few that use a real "sub frame" for an IFS ( I know) application while others will "cut corners" to achieve their lift.
Made in the USA as well.
Limited* Lifetime Warranty on our products as well.
We stand behind and wheel the bleep out of our products.
Son of a .... I saw where WOL also explained the differences too..
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rancho
Holy cow! I remember e-mailing back and forth a few months back! Funny how things work out, we grabbed a 2012 JK last fall and got our systems dialed in a couple of/few months back. EVO makes great stuff as well, go Dynatracs or the like and never look back.
That's right and I waited for it to come out and the engineer's would not release a pre-production to me even though we have a long long relationship. I'd still love to have one on the rig to see how it does. When I finely got the part number for the long arm for the 2012 and tried to order it I was told it would be over a month before I got it. I had to get it up so I ended up with an AEV 4.5 for now. That lift will likely make it on my wife's 2012 when it comes in at the dealership (they had to reorder it because is came in as a sport and not a Rubicon.)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me why the Rancho 4in kit says 35 inch tires max, when others say 2.5 to 3.5 to fit 35s and 4.5in for 37s?
I'm really interested in this lift now.

Oh, and what is the difference in the Rubi only kits?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

I gave the 2.5" AEV a shot I have to say it has something to be desired. I will be ditching it as soon as the new Evo coil overs come out. I changed my mind about 3 months after purchase. It lacks up travel to rally it hard which is the reason I bought it. If I was doing it again for 35's I would run a Teraflex 2.5 with Curie LCA's and Bilstien 5100 or better shocks. I will say that it does ride on the pavement nice but it's got a mean rake to it now. <2.5" of actual axles to frame lift, 3" rear
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by demtek9
Can someone tell me why the Rancho 4in kit says 35 inch tires max, when others say 2.5 to 3.5 to fit 35s and 4.5in for 37s?

Thanks!
Which system by chance?
We tend to under estimate.
For some of our kits, if you own a Rubicon, you will need to get sway bar links so that your front electronic disconnect will work.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demtek9

Thanks!
Lots of people run the Rancho 4 inch sport kit with 37's. You have to either trim your fenders or run flat fenders to make sure there is no rubbing. I believe you need to do the same with most 4 inch kits. You can also run 35's with Rancho's new 3 inch sport and trail kits.

Damn it I should be working in the basement!

Later,
Gary

Quick Reply: AEV Lift Kit ???