Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV ProCal / Gear Ratio Changes

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV ProCal / Gear Ratio Changes

So let me set this up for you:

About a month ago I got new 35" Nitto Mud-Grapplers and a AEV ProCal module to help me with the changes. I love the Nittos, what I don't love is the 35s paired up to the original gearing ratio. Now my Rubicon dropped a gear and holds 2600rpms at 70 mph. And it constantly drops and revs just to keep it 55 on hilly roads. It wasn't like this with the stockers on there. I knew there would be some change, but not like this.

My Question:

Can I use my ProCal to tell my jeep I have 5.13 gears? Will that change the shift points to where it would suit me better? Or will this mess with the driveline somehow that I don't know about?

Any help, experiences, or advice is appreciated. I should maybe mention it's my DD. It's off-road only about 20% of the time.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dont know about shift points, but the Procal will allow you to program a new gear ratio into the ECU. I did that last week for my 4.88s.
The Flashpaq will change the shift points or so I hear (I have a 6spd). But the Flashpaq made my Jeep knock and ping.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good question. I put on the 35's last season and it was a dog on the road to Vegas. This year I just picked up a Procal and had the same thought accept I was considering the larger tire diameter settings to adjust my shift points more in my favor.

Any other thoughts on this rational??
Old 09-16-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i believe setting the tire diameter would be best to do first. I wouldn't change the gear settings unless you actually have changed the gears. and if you're thinking about regearing, maybe save for that because it will make a dramatic difference and remain steady in performance, concerning shift points.

but settign your tire diameter would make your speedometer right which would make your odometer right and basically just getting your computer back in check with how far you're actually going and at how fast for how long.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you put in your new tire size in the procal that will adjust your shift points along with the speedo. It will also reprogram your gear ratio as well. It's all in the instructions Make sure you measure your tire and don't go by the online tire size calculator

Last edited by ArrowheadRay; 09-16-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by itsarubiconday
So let me set this up for you:

About a month ago I got new 35" Nitto Mud-Grapplers and a AEV ProCal module to help me with the changes. I love the Nittos, what I don't love is the 35s paired up to the original gearing ratio. Now my Rubicon dropped a gear and holds 2600rpms at 70 mph. And it constantly drops and revs just to keep it 55 on hilly roads. It wasn't like this with the stockers on there. I knew there would be some change, but not like this.

My Question:

Can I use my ProCal to tell my jeep I have 5.13 gears? Will that change the shift points to where it would suit me better? Or will this mess with the driveline somehow that I don't know about?

Any help, experiences, or advice is appreciated. I should maybe mention it's my DD. It's off-road only about 20% of the time.

Thanks!
I would try making adjustments to your tire size to make it reflect what your tires actual size is. If you just put in 35" in the Procal and your tires actually measure smaller it could make the shift points seem off. Mainly because you will think you are going 70 when you might only be going 65.

After I put on 35's and had the Procal to make adjustments mine was the same way. Even a minor incline on the freeway would shift it out of OD and steep hills would kick me into second gear just to hold speed. Once I regeared to 5.13s I rarely shift out of OD, even to pass or go up hills. Some really steep hills require a down shift but that is rare.

Sounds like you need to plan for a reagear. Just do it ,you will be happier with your jeep than when it was stock off the lot.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have added the correct tire size with the ProCal module. That was done correctly per their instructions. But I still think it's not right. I know I should just regear, it's just a money issue right now and could be some time before I have that cash pile sitting around.
Alright, so I guess the decision is to just regear.(?) I can't believe no one has tried this yet on here! (ProCal Mod Program)

If anybody has any other say, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: AEV ProCal / Gear Ratio Changes