Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment question

Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment question

Hey guys I have a question about my caster alignment. I will be posting a pic of the alignment report in a second from my phone.
From everything that I have read so far with my 3.5" lifted JKUR my caster should be somewhere between 5* - 6* .
My question : The shop that aligned my jeep has the left caster at 4.06 and the right at 4.33, is 0.27* degrees off from left to right acceptable?
Should I be looking for a new shop?
What is an acceptable difference in caster from left to right?
Is there anything else on this alignment report that i need to address?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Terrible
Hey guys I have a question about my caster alignment. I will be posting a pic of the alignment report in a second from my phone.
From everything that I have read so far with my 3.5" lifted JKUR my caster should be somewhere between 5* - 6* .
My question : The shop that aligned my jeep has the left caster at 4.06 and the right at 4.33, is 0.27* degrees off from left to right acceptable?
Should I be looking for a new shop?
What is an acceptable difference in caster from left to right?
Is there anything else on this alignment report that i need to address?

Thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0002.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	645608
Old 05-01-2016, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Most alignment shops will set you to stock specs - unless you tell them otherwise. Others on here have reported that it is not uncommon to have different caster settings to account for the crown in most roads.

Instead of looking solely at the numbers, drive it. How does it handle? Any wandering or pulling or bumpsteer?

It is also good to remember that as you raise the caster, the pinion rotates down, which makes the driveshaft joints work at steeper angles, which, at some point, can cause driveline vibes or lead to the joints spitting out all their grease and failing. So don't raise the caster just to hit some magic number you saw reported. Base it off of how 'your' jeep drives.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-01-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Most alignment shops will set you to stock specs - unless you tell them otherwise. Others on here have reported that it is not uncommon to have different caster settings to account for the crown in most roads.

Instead of looking solely at the numbers, drive it. How does it handle? Any wandering or pulling or bumpsteer?

It is also good to remember that as you raise the caster, the pinion rotates down, which makes the driveshaft joints work at steeper angles, which, at some point, can cause driveline vibes or lead to the joints spitting out all their grease and failing. So don't raise the caster just to hit some magic number you saw reported. Base it off of how 'your' jeep drives.
Thanks for the responce nthinuf.

Yes, I am worried about the pinion angle. I just bought this jeep exactly the way it sits currently, The last owner had this lift installed this alignment done.
I have owned it for about 3 weeks now.
The reason I am looking into the alignment now is because the jeep is pulling to the left at interstate speed, slight wandering it also has moderate bump steer.
Just trying to hopefully find a happy medium between caster and pinion angle.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor

If you increase caster, it will make the onion angle worse. However, you will find that the Jeep drives better at around 5 degrees. Given that you are not driving in 4wd, the pinion angle will be fine at that level of caster.

As for the bump steer, that is the result of the angle on the drag link. The tricky thing about lifts is that the actual lift height always differs from what was advertised. It has to do mostly with the weight of the vehicle, and a lighter vehicle will end up with more lift height. It is likely that you need a drag link flip and raised tracker bar bracket to correct the bump steer.

The pulling on the highway could be many things, including the tires, the steering stabilizer, etc. Less likely the alignment. Some steering stabilizers are charged and have a tendency to push the Jeep left. Try unbolting the stabilizer and see if that changes anything. Another thing to try is rotating the tires to see if that changes anything. If not, you can modify the caster to it helps the Jeep to track the way you want it to. It is not uncommon to have different caster between sides as it can help offset the crown found in most roads. Too much of a good thing is also bad.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4
If you increase caster, it will make the onion angle worse. However, you will find that the Jeep drives better at around 5 degrees. Given that you are not driving in 4wd, the pinion angle will be fine at that level of caster.

As for the bump steer, that is the result of the angle on the drag link. The tricky thing about lifts is that the actual lift height always differs from what was advertised. It has to do mostly with the weight of the vehicle, and a lighter vehicle will end up with more lift height. It is likely that you need a drag link flip and raised tracker bar bracket to correct the bump steer.

The pulling on the highway could be many things, including the tires, the steering stabilizer, etc. Less likely the alignment. Some steering stabilizers are charged and have a tendency to push the Jeep left. Try unbolting the stabilizer and see if that changes anything. Another thing to try is rotating the tires to see if that changes anything. If not, you can modify the caster to it helps the Jeep to track the way you want it to. It is not uncommon to have different caster between sides as it can help offset the crown found in most roads. Too much of a good thing is also bad.
Thanks so much Fusion! My jeep as zero add-ons so it probably does sit higher than 3.5" . I'm going to look into everything that you suggested. Any advice on which drag link flip to go with? Metalcloak has one, is there a different one that I should look at as well?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Terrible
Thanks so much Fusion! My jeep as zero add-ons so it probably does sit higher than 3.5" . I'm going to look into everything that you suggested. Any advice on which drag link flip to go with? Metalcloak has one, is there a different one that I should look at as well?
We may be a little biased, but if you want the best kit, check out or 2.5 ton steering. We have a flip kit. Our drag ink can be run in either the stock or flipped position. As a forum member, we can make you a good package deal for the full flip kit. Last drag link you will ever need.

You can check out our steering here fusion 4x4.

And you can read a write-up here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...pgrade-332685/.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your signature says you have Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Mine is alligned perfectly per the shop and still pulls to the left. Internet research has told me it is a quirk with these tires. Nitto Trail Grapplers pull left on the highway.

If you're wondering, it could still be a caster or even a steering component problem.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:49 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass

Mine is alligned perfectly per the shop and still pulls to the left. Internet research has told me it is a quirk with these tires. Nitto Trail Grapplers pull left on the highway.

If you're wondering, it could still be a caster or even a steering component problem.
For some, we've heard about the pulling. Our shop JK and a couple others run the TG's and there is no pulling.

We find it can often be a combo effect. The TGs may be prone, but then throw a charged steering stabilizer on and you will have the pull.

If there are no other issues with your Jeep, then you can adjust the caster on one side. A vehicle will tend to pull to the side that has less caster. So, either increase the caster on the driver side a little or reduce it on the passenger side. There is nothing wrong with being .5 degrees different side to side if the Jeep is driving straight. Another thing is where caster is at. With a lifted JK, not enough (such as running stock caster) will cause steering to be slightly and cause the Jeep to want to wander. Too much can have issues as well, but that would be hard to do on a JK.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass

Thanks, I had never heard that about the nitto trail grapplers. I'm going to start with taking off the steering stabilizer to rule that out then get an alignment.
I just bought this jeep with only 29,000 miles of mall crawling so I don't think anything major is worn out yet.

Quick Reply: Alignment question