Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I sagging too much?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I sagging too much?

Lately I've gotten it in my head that the Jeep sits lower then some of the ~3.5" Jeeps I see and I do get the scraping feeling when going over some things that other folks do not.

Currently I have a 4" zone lift, JKS front track bar and full synergy front end. Rear has the OEM track bar with the lift bracket on the axle side.

Could anyone take a look at the pictures and see if it looks too compressed or would benefit from an extra inch? Speaking with Zone they suggested getting the JKS ACOS units. Although at least 700 bucks to get that inch back, if I did indeed lose it, seems a bit much.

Open to any suggestions, or if it is all in my head.

Lift Query - Imgur

Edit: Tires are 315/70R17 Duratracs
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fully loaded JKU sits at 38.5" front and 39" rear with an AEV 2.5" and true 33's (measured from the same point as your pictures). Depending on the height of your Duratrac's I'd defiantly say you've got some sag going on. TeraFlex 1" spacers would be a much cheaper route than the JKS system.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a slight bow in the coils.. and you didn't use any sort of coil spacer other than the factory version?.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
My fully loaded JKU sits at 38.5" front and 39" rear with an AEV 2.5" and true 33's (measured from the same point as your pictures). Depending on the height of your Duratrac's I'd defiantly say you've got some sag going on. TeraFlex 1" spacers would be a much cheaper route than the JKS system.
Realized I forgot to measure the tires. Last time I did they were around 34.4ish" I believe. I'll take a look a look at the spacers.

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
I see a slight bow in the coils.. and you didn't use any sort of coil spacer other than the factory version?.
Good catch! I didn't notice that until you pointed that out, some of those pictures have a good amount of bowing in them. Presently there is no spacer of any sort on the coils or the shocks. Would the bowing be due to the weight? I imagine putting a spacer it in that case wouldn't help and a stiffer spring would be better? Unless the bowing is not from weight.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 AM
-

Well depends on the weight.. how much weight are we talking? and what's the max weight a JKU can hold.. I think teraflex or alternative has a spacer kit which is beveled/angled spacer that forces the coiled up right.. I think at this point if you added spacers.. depending on how much of a spacer.. the coils might actually bow even more. I want to say something's off but can't figure out what.. Clearly you have the height.. just need to refocus on the coils.. might need a set of the coil retaining brackets too.

Could be the sway links are to short, might try to added a drop bracket on the sways. so something is retaining these coils from reaching their max height.. Think it's a miss match of coils, brackets, links spacers etc.. Unless this was all one kit..
Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

All 4 coils are bowed. Are you on stock arms? Is your axle centered? Wedges will help in the rear but they aren't for use in the front.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Springs will bow on taller lifts. The rear can be corrected with wedges. The sway bar isn't the problem as noted above. I recommend getting a set of better quality coils vs. Zone coils.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Use the measurements in the attachments to see exactly how much lift you currently have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2100243443.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	576956   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3636826802.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	576957  
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

Well depends on the weight.. how much weight are we talking? and what's the max weight a JKU can hold.. I think teraflex or alternative has a spacer kit which is beveled/angled spacer that forces the coiled up right.. I think at this point if you added spacers.. depending on how much of a spacer.. the coils might actually bow even more. I want to say something's off but can't figure out what.. Clearly you have the height.. just need to refocus on the coils.. might need a set of the coil retaining brackets too. Could be the sway links are to short, might try to added a drop bracket on the sways. so something is retaining these coils from reaching their max height.. Think it's a miss match of coils, brackets, links spacers etc.. Unless this was all one kit..
the sway bar would be turned down if it were limiting the springs. If one link were shorter than the other it could cause the jeep to lean.

I would replace the springs before I added a spacer or spent the money on the acos
Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Well depends on the weight.. how much weight are we talking? and what's the max weight a JKU can hold.. I think teraflex or alternative has a spacer kit which is beveled/angled spacer that forces the coiled up right.. I think at this point if you added spacers.. depending on how much of a spacer.. the coils might actually bow even more. I want to say something's off but can't figure out what.. Clearly you have the height.. just need to refocus on the coils.. might need a set of the coil retaining brackets too.

Could be the sway links are to short, might try to added a drop bracket on the sways. so something is retaining these coils from reaching their max height.. Think it's a miss match of coils, brackets, links spacers etc.. Unless this was all one kit..
Minus my Synergy products on the front end, the kit is one whole kit from Zone that the previous owner put in. I don't believe there is anything limiting the coils per say since I can fully stuff the tire and drop the opposite end without any binding or issue.

Originally Posted by JE8154
All 4 coils are bowed. Are you on stock arms? Is your axle centered? Wedges will help in the rear but they aren't for use in the front.
I have RC front lower CA's and the axle is centered with the JKS adj bar. The rest would be stock arms though.

Originally Posted by Ncb
Springs will bow on taller lifts. The rear can be corrected with wedges. The sway bar isn't the problem as noted above. I recommend getting a set of better quality coils vs. Zone coils.
Originally Posted by Ncb
Use the measurements in the attachments to see exactly how much lift you currently have.
Thanks for the picture, I'll post my measurements when I get home.

Quick Reply: Am I sagging too much?