Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analysis has led to paralysis! Please help!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analysis has led to paralysis! Please help!

I just bought a 2015 JKUR. I have had 2 other jeeps in my life. An 08 JKU with a budget boost on 33s and a 13 JKU with a RK 2.5" max flex on 35s. I have spent 2 weeks here and on another site reading about lifts and I am stuck:

I want a jeep with a mild lift (1.5-2.5") and 33s that will be comfortable on road trips, still be able to perform well in easy to moderate off roading once a month and be able to handle packing the jeep to the brim with wife and 3 kids and camping stuff without squatting horribly.

Looking for recommendations for lifts at or under $1k (Progrssive, dual rate or linera springs?): RK 1.5" stock mod? / Teraflex BB? / Teraflex sprong leveling kit? / Teraflex 2.5"? / Metalcloak 2.5"?

I want to do it right on a budget. Can I ? My analysis has become paralysis

Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I would say your going ro want progressive rate springs to better handle the weight. The stock springs will wear quickly and give you poor performance. That said budget and progressive springs don't go hand in hand. Take a look at the AEV 2.5" lift. It will run you about 1,100 with the drop brackets. It will provide you with exactly what you're looking for. I'm running it now and it's everything I wanted and more.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

I second that emotion. AEV for the usage you described. I did replace Bils shocks with RS9000.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AEV lift is cheap quality and rusts in 2 years. Seems like everything AEV is cheap quality these days. Their rims are cracking as well. Metalcloak seems to be the same concept, and hopefully better quality.

Originally Posted by Bushfam5
I just bought a 2015 JKUR. I have had 2 other jeeps in my life. An 08 JKU with a budget boost on 33s and a 13 JKU with a RK 2.5" max flex on 35s. I have spent 2 weeks here and on another site reading about lifts and I am stuck:

I want a jeep with a mild lift (1.5-2.5") and 33s that will be comfortable on road trips, still be able to perform well in easy to moderate off roading once a month and be able to handle packing the jeep to the brim with wife and 3 kids and camping stuff without squatting horribly.

Looking for recommendations for lifts at or under $1k (Progrssive, dual rate or linera springs?): RK 1.5" stock mod? / Teraflex BB? / Teraflex sprong leveling kit? / Teraflex 2.5"? / Metalcloak 2.5"?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lyd
The AEV lift is cheap quality and rusts in 2 years. Seems like everything AEV is cheap quality these days. Their rims are cracking as well. Metalcloak seems to be the same concept, and hopefully better quality.
aev products and customer service blows. Stick with rk or terraflex
Old 08-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
Zero experience with AEV. I did have a Teraflex 2.5 kit which I really didn't like. Too long a story to go into. I finally bit-the-bullet, and bought a Metalcloak 2.5" Gamechanger Kit with the ARB (OME) option (it was pricey, but after the first test drive, it was worth it). What a marked difference! I also moved away from mud-terrain tires to all-terrain. I can hear the stereo now whilst driving!!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

I had a TF BB for about 4 years. Just upgraded to their 2.5" coils. What a difference, go with springs, the factory springs could not handle the bumper & winch. I wish I had in the beginning, of course I was told to go that route.

Last edited by OverKill; 08-25-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lyd
I've had my lift for 3 years and it has some rust. The rest of the underside has a lot more. I live at the ocean so between the constant salty air and heavily salted winter roads I expect it. AEV is in the business of modifying vehicles with their custom designed parts. They are not a parts dedicated company like Teraflex so customer services issues are to be expected. Some surface rust after 2 years is not out of the ordinary for any company. It's nothing that a can of rustoleum and a wire brush wouldn't fix.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What is the budget? And what do you consider as 'doing it right? (I don't think MC and RK really fit in the 'budget lift' category, more on the 'doing it right' side of the equation.)

But, you say that you have already run both a BB and a 2.5" coil lift, so I'm not sure where your paralysis is coming from. You know how they both handle. You know what your budget is. So what are the actual concerns/questions?
Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RockinRobin
I second that emotion. AEV for the usage you described. I did replace Bils shocks with RS9000.
Third vote for AEV. I'm running the 2.5" with similar driving style as you. Very happy with the on road performance.

Bit of rust after 9,000km but we also have salt brine spread on the roads up here in the winter to help those that shouldn't drive in the winter stay between the ditches....lol

Quick Reply: Analysis has led to paralysis! Please help!