Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on this noise while turning left?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on this noise while turning left?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bXU3Gb0nA And I get a little vibration/rub feedback in the steering wheel. I can't figure out what it might be.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Any vibe with it or just a noise? Sounds like something is loose.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Agree, it sounds like something loose. I like to start diagnosing by seeing if I can duplicate the sound while stationary in the drive. If you can, have someone turning the wheel back and forth while you inspect. It's so much easier to figure out than when in motion. If you can't duplicate it while stationary, then at least it helps eliminate some common culprits.

It's kinda hard to tell where the noising is coming from. There's enough pressure on the steering system that just turning lock to lock will force movement in a joint or loose bolt. Next suspicion would be something in the suspension, and if not that, then a random part loose and rattling.

As Keeper asked.....any "feelings" to go along with it, or just the noise?

Last edited by resharp001; 01-17-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yes there is 'feedback' on the steering wheel

Yes, when the noise occurs, I get some feedback in the steering wheel. It's a little hard to describe - something like a rub / vibration / resistance. As I'm turning left, the steering wheel gives a very minor push back to the right when the noise happens. We thought maybe the axle bearings and rebuilt both sides - no change. My gut feeling was something with the driver-side wheel, but I can't see / find anything.

So far, I can only reproduce it while driving. With the front end off the ground, I can spin and turn the wheel by hand with no issues - I don't feel any vibration or anything loose. So, could it be power steering issues? I mainly shot the video at the upper steering components above the drag link (pitman arm, steering shaft). I was hoping to see some odd movement coinciding with the noise, but I saw nothing.

I do have some issues with my control arm bushings wearing out - I get some pretty strong clunks when starting from a stop, and especially when changing directions - forward to reverse / vice versa. It's a stick BTW. But still for the vibration/push back to travel all the way up to the steering wheel to the point where I feel a slight resistance, I wouldn't think it's the control arms - more likely drag link/track bar/tie rod area - something that's directly connected back to the steering wheel.

I appreciate your responses.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Check the brake shield. My drivers side was bent slightly and rubbed turning.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like rotor backing plate rubbing on the rotor.. Also check your wheel bearings. If they are worn and sloppy, you will get vibes and enough play in the rotor to hit the backing plate when cornering..

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on this noise while turning left?