Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try the "cheap" Ebay tubular flares?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone try the "cheap" Ebay tubular flares?

Has anyone tried any of the less expensive steel, tube style flares that you see on Ebay? They are around $450 for a set of four which is half the price of the name brand tube flares. I'm sure the quality isn't close to Poison Spyder or Metalcloke, but Jeep didn't exactly set the bar very high on quality with the OEM flares. I'm wondering if these things are decent. I know E-Autogrilles used to be a site sponsor here and the general reviews on their products was that they were decent but had finish issues with their powdercoating. Here's a couple of links to the ones I'm talking about. They all look the same, just different Ebay sellers.

07-17 Jeep JK Wrangler Steel Style Rocker Guard Front Fender Flares | eBay

07-17 Jeep JK Wrangler Steel Style Front Fender Flares | eBay
Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

This is the most recent thread I recall seeing about them....from October.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...flares-337736/

I think if you realize what you're buying, and are ok with some flaws in regards to finishing, they seem to offer a decent value. I'd rather have those than a set of aftermarket plastics.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandell
Has anyone tried any of the less expensive steel, tube style flares .....
Maybe this applies for your intended use or not ? Think twice before you buy steel fenders, esp the cheaper priced ones that likely skimp on a quality preparation for paint.

I had a different brand of Steel tube flares that rusted. My JK isn't a beauty queen and gets rough treatment so ugly fenders weren't so bad, though eventually I had to replace them with Plastic flares ---- I'd only go aluminum or plastic flares again.

$450 for all 4 fenders is a deal, just be mindful how long they'll last.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Well that answered one question. Apparantly they (at least the E-Autogrilles) don't come with a support system that ties them into the inner fender. I had read several posts about the quality of the powdercoating so I had it in mind to plan on spraying them with bedliner before installation.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Well, you surely can't compare these to Poison Spyder or MC flares. I'd say you comparing them to Smittybilt metal and various plastic flares. The cost more than the smittybilts, but they also look better IMO. My issue with the plastic is they way they mount. Any pressure that is applied to them is dispersed on the thin sheet metal rather than the pinch seam. I'd bet these would stand up better than plastic, but definitely not take major abuse like the high end fenders that have additional supports. I posted for an update on the thread I linked earlier. Curious to see what the outcome or opinion ended up being on that one after a couple months.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Thanks man. I'm in a position that I have to do something. Our JKU was in a fender bender (literally) which destroyed the front passenger side flare. I think I'll add some money to the insurance check and try a set. They have to be more sturdy than the OEM plastic flares.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree the quality might not be there, but I like the price. The one thing I would do is get them burned and powdercoated. I have seen these types of flares paint even the higher quality ones and due to lack of prep were rusting. Especially where the flat meets the tube. I would really consider these. Would love for someone to chime in on the fitment of these as well as pics. It is definitely cheaper to just trim factory ones.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by catahoula
I agree the quality might not be there, but I like the price.
That mindset always baffles me. Yes, they suck, but they're cheap. You know there are issues and they won't last and you're going to have to replace them with something else. Are you going to buy the same cheap shit again, or are you going to upgrade and buy the Poison Spyder or Metalcloaks the next time?

Now you've spent more twice than you would have once, not to mention the time invested.

Just something to think about.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy

That mindset always baffles me. Yes, they suck, but they're cheap. You know there are issues and they won't last and you're going to have to replace them with something else. Are you going to buy the same cheap shit again, or are you going to upgrade and buy the Poison Spyder or Metalcloaks the next time?

Now you've spent more twice than you would have once, not to mention the time invested.

Just something to think about.
Well are you speaking from experience? Love to see the proof if so. You can still have good prep on an inferior product. I've seen
Poison spiders rust. I've had Smittybilt nerf bars on my bronco that last and came coated that ended up with minor surface rust due to use. IMHO Metal Cloak is over priced and ugly as is Poison's. To each their own. It's their jeep. I his is a very affordable product for some.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Speaking of E-Autogrilles, I'll share my only experience with the company. About two years ago I ordered one of their mesh grill inserts for my Ram 2500 because it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper than everyone else. When I unboxed it and opened the hardware, the instructions were all labeled "Smittybilt". The grille even had the "M1" logo on it like the Smittybilt. So, years later the grill still looks great. Like I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't surprise me if all of these flares rolled out of the same factory!

Quick Reply: Anyone try the "cheap" Ebay tubular flares?