Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axe mount

Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axe mount

I have always wanted to mount an axe on my jeep does anyone have any ideas how to or has done it with there own Jeep?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-318501281.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	566884

Used 2 quick fists I think they're called. Went on really easy with two self taping screws and is very stable

Stock 2010 2dr JK
Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you actually need an axe? I've been off roading for over 40 years and have never used one. A chainsaw, yes, but never an axe. Is it because it will look cool sitting up on the jeep or will you actually have a need for one? Don't waste your money on hanging cool looking items there when they're not necessary. A shovel will serve you better and you can get one that folds that hides under a seat so you won't need to 'hang' that on the jeep either. Just my take on it. Too many guys put too many bells and whistles on the jeep that don't contribute to any function other than looking cool. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Do you actually need an axe? I've been off roading for over 40 years and have never used one. A chainsaw, yes, but never an axe. Is it because it will look cool sitting up on the jeep or will you actually have a need for one? Don't waste your money on hanging cool looking items there when they're not necessary. A shovel will serve you better and you can get one that folds that hides under a seat so you won't need to 'hang' that on the jeep either. Just my take on it. Too many guys put too many bells and whistles on the jeep that don't contribute to any function other than looking cool. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear.
Even though I'm guilty of this sometimes too, it's 100% true.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...ombies-293100/

I also put a link to something pretty cool called a crovel on there.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

the op bought a jeep with his own hard earned cash, I don't think anyone has a right to tell him what he should or shouldn't do with his own jeep.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:28 AM
JK Freak

so are you guys insinuating that i should not have mounted 2 midevil style warhammers and a polearm for the zombie apocalypse?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I mounted my axe (and shovel) with the ToughStuff Hi-Lift mount. It comes with the necessary hardware to mount an axe and shovel, which proved useful once I had a place on the (installed much later) rear bumper for the Hi-Lift.

Is an axe useful? Well, we've used mine to cut up firewood. We've had to take down a very large tree (2 foot diameter) that blocked the trail, but fortunately we had a chainsaw along, and that's way easier for big stuff. We've also had smaller trees (6 inches) blocking the trail and no chainsaw and a WoodPal proved best at attacking it, though sometimes a folding handsaw was more immediately available. A bow saw would have also worked quite well.

As for shovels, disagree with using a folding shovel. For serious shoveling, you'll want a solid handled shovel. D-ring handle, round tipped blade is best for what you're likely to run into.

Using a chainsaw on trail (5:23 if it doesn't forward automatically) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c&list=UUIK_7F7GJJcvTo9d7Ag5cYA#t=324 Using a folding handsaw on trail (at 5:56) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZr8b28jsQ&list=UUIK_7F7GJJcvTo9d7Ag5cYA#t=357 Using a shovel to change a flat tire (the jack collapsed under the weight of the Jeep, LOL--8:29 in the video) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eRvYZ9TXY&list=UUIK_7F7GJJcvTo9d7Ag5cYA#t=510 Just looking cool with an axe and shovel on the hood ...

And, finally, how I did the install (for the Hi-Lift) ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-mount-41906/
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

mark your rig appears to be 99.372% zombie apocalypse ready, just needs a warhammer mount...... for zombie smashin.......
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

I maybe wrong, but I was under the understanding that an axe, a shovel, and a bucket, were required with campfire permits in the People's Republic of California. Don't quote me on that however!

Quick Reply: Axe mount