Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad knock on driver wheel side

Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad knock on driver wheel side

So I have been dealing with this bad knock going over bumps, not going over bumps, and even just turning to the left. I installed a Rough Country 3.5" lift about a month ago, but this just started last week, and everything is tight and been retightened, and the ride is smooth. Just had all the ball joints replaced, as we assumed it was that, and replaced the passenger u joint as it had some play, but not the driver side. (It seemed fine) Anyway, thought maybe sway bar causing it, as bushings are getting bad and the bar moves, but I disconnected and the knock stops over bumps, but not while turning. So turning to the left I can make it knock and then turning back straight or to the right, it will knock again and then be fine driving straight. Almost seems like I am dislocating a shoulder and then popping it back in. Lol Any thoughts bc I am going crazy trying to figure it out.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turning while going over bumps or just turning? I thought my rear track my was tight but it was not. ( frame side bolt) it would feel like something is loose over bumps and I could 'feel' it move it the hole when I turned hard. Kinda felt it in the seat and wheel
Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say "everything is tight" do you mean "everything is torqued to spec"?

If you haven't installed and torqued every bolt and jam nut with a torque wrench then it's not tight.

I would start with the front track bar based on your description. It should be at 125ft/lbs both ends.

Last edited by Biginboca; 02-28-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Can you reproduce the sound while stationary and cycling the steering, or only while in motion.

If you can do so while stationary, I tend to agree with biginboca that it sounds TB related....probably a slightly undertorqued bolt. If it's ONLY while in motion, would think something different.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-01-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad knock on driver wheel side