Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Squeak coming from the rear....

Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Squeak coming from the rear....

I have super bad rotational squeak coming from the driver side when I'm driving normal down the road, I checked the pads and rotors, there is some scoring in the back left where the noise is coming from.

Also whenever I go over small bumps it squeaks like an SOB I don't think it is related but I would like to solve this problem and would like to get any advice?

I have videos I will try to post.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Here are the videos

http://youtu.be/xrTv97b6OQw

http://youtu.be/pq3l9GmiYKw
Old 05-19-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a stone caught between the disc and the dust cover
Old 05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jrod250
Sounds like a stone caught between the disc and the dust cover
I didn't check for that. That makes sense for the smaller squeak but the louder more constant squeak has to be something else
Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

I have a similar squeak and mine is coming from the Rough country shocks, they are worn out and the eyelets are worn out and you can actually see the eyelet of the shock move up and down on the bolt just from pushing on the spare tire. Thankfully I have a set of Fox 2.0's in the other room waiting for my RK 2.5 Lift!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08SilverX
I have a similar squeak and mine is coming from the Rough country shocks, they are worn out and the eyelets are worn out and you can actually see the eyelet of the shock move up and down on the bolt just from pushing on the spare tire. Thankfully I have a set of Fox 2.0's in the other room waiting for my RK 2.5 Lift!

I have old rough country shocks so that could be a huge possibility. Due you have any pics of the worn down section on them?
Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking lube it up, then again, based on your title, and my suggestion, this may be more appropriate for another forum with less restrictions. LOL!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I'm thinking lube it up, then again, based on your title, and my suggestion, this may be more appropriate for another forum with less restrictions. LOL!!!
Hahaha I knew I was gonna get it for that title.

I greased everything not too long ago so idk what to regrease.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:58 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem, it first started with front right side now all four, what is happening to mine is the break pads I bought either from Autozone or O'Reilly's Auto Parts, the caliper has rubbed the rubber coating off the pad, so now the caliper and the pads are metal to metal. What I did is put grease on the back side of the pad but this fix is only temp it'll help for only a month or so, today sense I got time on my hands due to a lay off from work I'm going to take them back for an exchange and hopefully I can find a better break pad to use. Because the original ones never made this squeak. The squeak goes away once the breaks are applied, but is more intense when the breaks are applied lightly
Old 05-20-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SemperFiJK
I have the same problem, it first started with front right side now all four, what is happening to mine is the break pads I bought either from Autozone or O'Reilly's Auto Parts, the caliper has rubbed the rubber coating off the pad, so now the caliper and the pads are metal to metal. What I did is put grease on the back side of the pad but this fix is only temp it'll help for only a month or so, today sense I got time on my hands due to a lay off from work I'm going to take them back for an exchange and hopefully I can find a better break pad to use. Because the original ones never made this squeak. The squeak goes away once the breaks are applied, but is more intense when the breaks are applied lightly

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1301107527.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	554377

As you can see the metal shining in the sun light on the back of these pads. We'll on my way to see if I can either get my money back, exchange, or upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3212415634.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	554376  

Quick Reply: Bad Squeak coming from the rear....