Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joints

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints

Just replaced my ball joints and the upper ball joint on the drivers side seems to be slightly crooked. Meaning it's not seated all the way around the C. I have about a half a millimeter happen the outside edge, the inside edge is fully seated.

Any suggestions on seating it the rest of the way? Will it cause any problems if left alone?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Can anyone help on this?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

You can put the cap or tool you used to install them back on top of the ball joint. Then use a heavy hammer to seat it all the way if it is just off a little. Just don't hit the ball joint directly, hit the seating tool that rests in the lip of the ball joint. The other way is too use adapter shims when installing so it goes in straight.

Last edited by 14JKU; 02-17-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If it's down to where the ball joint flange and the C meet, but it's not seated all the way around, I don't see that there is much you can do about it. It may be the top of the C isn't perfectly flat, or not 90° to the bore.

The bottom ball joint is the more important. That's the one all the weight sits on.

Does the tapered pin in the upper ball joint line up well with the knuckle?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Either push it back out and re-install it so that it is straight, or use a hammer and an adapter to encourage it to seat evenly.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

I'll try the hammer method tonight. It's only off a little so hopefully it will seat without too much effort.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepy.Jeff
I'll try the hammer method tonight. It's only off a little so hopefully it will seat without too much effort.

Thanks for your help.
Did this work?

I installed my synergy bj today and both driver and passenger side uppers are not 100% seated on the wheel side. The inside (towards the coil spring) is fully seated but the outside (wheel side) has a tiny bit of daylight showing between the lip on the bj and the machined face of the upper C.

I tried a cheater bar on the press and some slight tapping while still under pressure but I didn't get too aggressive with my hammer.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed some a while back and the uppers never seated on the outside. The ball joint was straight but still a little gap on the outside. We had no issues with it.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Junkie

I know this is a older thread, but My driver side showed I tiny bit of light after install. I think the knuckle surface not being totally flat is the reason. I was freaked out a little before having it aligned. Alignment was dead nuts camber wise. I would think camber would be out if the upper joint wasn't seated all the way.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I know this is a older thread, but My driver side showed I tiny bit of light after install. I think the knuckle surface not being totally flat is the reason. I was freaked out a little before having it aligned. Alignment was dead nuts camber wise. I would think camber would be out if the upper joint wasn't seated all the way.
I used the BJ press sleeve adapter (so I would not damage BJ hat) and a Big F hammer to seat mine. I've done this to both axles Rubi Dana 44 and Teraflexx 44. Factory Rubi 44 tube is bent now. Hit a BF rock......at night, in reverse and Sam Adams was my Co-Pilot. Tera44 is SAWEEEEET, solid.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints