Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joints: Any aftermarket solutions yet? Any good? Bad?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ball joints: Any aftermarket solutions yet? Any good? Bad?

Ball joints. I know one of mine is on its way out: the dealership mechanic told me I probably have another 10K - 15K miles before my passenger side fails, but I'd trust him about as far as I can throw him.

So, I'd rather be proactive and NOT wreck my Jeep. I could buy a new OEM balljoint, but it's generally accepted that oversized tires on an offset wheel (I have spacers) will cause extra stress, and I'd like to see my balljoints hold up well, rather than buy new ones every 20-30K!

What are my options? Is there anyone making bigger/beefier/more resilient ones for the aftermarket? If so, does anyone on here have firsthand experience with them?

Help a brotha out, please.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the dana 44 build up post in the extreme section. He used some crown upgraded ball joints on that one. Im going to try them too.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, a ball joint for the JK will not be upgraded without a grease fitting. I don't give a shit who makes it.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Easy man. At least someone is trying. Anyone know if it is possible to add a grease zerk to a normally sealed ball joint?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the dana 44 build up post in the extreme section. He used some crown upgraded ball joints on that one. Im going to try them too.
I was very interested in those crown Ball joints so I called crown and asked them about them and they are Original equipment ball joints. So I am not sure how much of a upgrade they are.

David
Old 02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well. nevermind to that idea then
Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I was very interested in those crown Ball joints so I called crown and asked them about them and they are Original equipment ball joints. So I am not sure how much of a upgrade they are.

David
Do you know of any viable (better) alternatives to OEM?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no sorry not at this point.

David
Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I would want to disassemble a grease-able ball joint to see if there is anything different about the ball or socket, besides the hole in the top. It could be there is something about the design that would allow the grease to flow evenly over the ball and socket.
Anyway, if you could avoid the chips and burrs, drilling an OEM ball joint for a zerk may be better than not, providing the metal is thick enough to grab the threads.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

The top of the rubicon ball joints are plastic on a 07. You can very carefully drill them and put in a zerk fitting. I replaced my upper's with Summit racing adjustable ball joints that fit a TJ.

Last edited by SRJK; 02-10-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Ball joints: Any aftermarket solutions yet? Any good? Bad?