Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beat Place to Buy Tires? Price, Inventory, Customer Service, etc.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beat Place to Buy Tires? Price, Inventory, Customer Service, etc.

Hi all. I am in the market for some tires. I am currently running ~30" General Grabber 2's and I am looking to upgrade to 33" tires. Thinking either Mickey Thompson MTZ's or Toyo Open Country MT's (Nitto Mud Grapplers may also be in the mix if the price is right.) Heard great stuff about all of these tires.

My question is, of all the places that sell tires, who do you feel is the best all around? I'm looking for the best price obviously, but I'm also looking for someone who won't screw up my order, who won't let me buy something then tell me it's back ordered, you get the idea. I imagine Discount Tire might offer a forum discount? Or maybe not? Does anybody offer one? Did you get your tires from a local dealer? If so were they able to compete with online prices or do you prefer to support local businesses?

All in all, I just want to know what you guys and gals think on the subject because I want to make sure I'm making a good decision.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Discount Tire
Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Discount tire plus you get a forum discount on a set of tires
Old 11-22-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

They may not have the selection you are looking for, but I've have great experiences dealing with tirerack.com. My daughter has a Mini Cooper and there were only two tires to choose from in the OEM size. The car is precision built and I was uncomfortable selecting a different size. The tech on the phone knew what slightly different size would fit. I searched that size and now there were 30 tires to choose from instead of just two. Had the tires in two days.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Discount tire all the way. If you call ask for Austin Sprague. Super guy and will really go out of his way to help. His ext. is 51827.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

I usually check prices on Treaddepot.com and Tirebuyer.com as well as Discounttire. Then take the prices to a local store to see if they can match. I've had good luck with this approach.

That way you get the warranty from the local shop. Free tire rotations are not a big deal for me but might be for some people.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Paws
+1 for Discount Tire
I just bought a set of wheels and tires from them. Great price, they even went out of their way to get me the rims because they do not carry them in their inventory. When I upgrade to 37's I will be going back to them.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well sounds like an almost unanimous vote for discount tire. Good to know. But I'll also do some pricing and visit some local shops just to see what they say.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainGeech
I usually check prices on Treaddepot.com and Tirebuyer.com as well as Discounttire. Then take the prices to a local store to see if they can match. I've had good luck with this approach.

That way you get the warranty from the local shop. Free tire rotations are not a big deal for me but might be for some people.
x2. I prefer buying local if possible, no issues with shipping tires back and forth if/when there is a problem. My local Discount Tire shops in both Texas and Colorado have been great about price-matching, and the free nationwide balance/rotate for the life of the tire is a nice bonus.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally prefer to buy online. Tax savings on $2k worth of tires is big. If you get them mounted and balanced at a discount tire, they will still do the lifetime balance and rotation (just make sure to ask for it).

Quick Reply: Beat Place to Buy Tires? Price, Inventory, Customer Service, etc.