Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beed Lock??

Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beed Lock??

HEY GUYS
im still waiting on my lift kit and i have been thinking about rims and tires i think im going to go with a mud tire and i cant figure out witch of them will give the best ware time and also i really want beed locks i had the beed lock LOOK wheels and the were cool but i want the real thing... i do a lot of road travel about 100 miles per-day... are the beed locks safe if there run with the tire at a good preasure for everyday use... i know there not dot approved but is a cop really going to know what they are if he pulls me over i dont think so?? he would think there the legal ones im curious what you guys think and as well what kind do you guys recomend i want good ones but not crazy $$

remeber i dont really know alot about them so thats why im asking

thanks will
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The safety depends on the quality of the design. I have had a set of steel beadlocks that wouldn't even seat properly when tightening down and I probably would not have them on a daily driver. Real beadlocks also can add a lot of weight to the wheel which will affect your accelleration and gas mileage. I have seen the Champion beadlocks and they look like a good product that should also be safe. As for the cops...the Highway Patrol are the only ones likely to really care about that. I don't know anyone who has ever been given a citation for beadlock wheels.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

HEY THANKS FOR THE REPLY i didnt know that the would lower my gas milage and speed it makes sense the would be heavy though i was looking at a nother pair of the beed lock simulated ones and idk i just didnt want to be fake
thanks
will
Old 01-15-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you honestly need the capabilities of real beadlocks, you might consider the Staun internal beadlocks:

http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail....TAUN-BEADLOCKS

They won't give you the beadlock look, but they will give you the functionality. You could always put them on a fake beadlock wheel if you need the look.

Mechanical beadlock wheels that look good, work well, and run nice on the road are going to cost you $300+ per wheel, at the least.

-E
Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

wow thats a lot of green maybe im better off with just the LOOK ones lol
Old 01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Beadlocks are over-rated in my opinion. I have run SS Boggers with 4 psi on beadlock wheels and didn't get any better traction on rock than running 8 psi on standard aluminum wheels with various tires. It could have been that I was using a directional mud tire on rock though...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

ya idk i never had a problem with anything with the old rock crawler wheels i had i just think the full beed lock is great it just looks so tuff
Old 01-15-2007, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
If you honestly need the capabilities of real beadlocks, you might consider the Staun internal beadlocks:

http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail....TAUN-BEADLOCKS

They won't give you the beadlock look, but they will give you the functionality. You could always put them on a fake beadlock wheel if you need the look.

Mechanical beadlock wheels that look good, work well, and run nice on the road are going to cost you $300+ per wheel, at the least.

-E
Love the idea of these, I've been trying to figure out what to do as far as bead locks go. I'm still trying to figure out if it's much cheaper to get the rim separate by the time you add up the costs. I guess the advantage is you can pick whatever rim you like.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill
Love the idea of these, I've been trying to figure out what to do as far as bead locks go. I'm still trying to figure out if it's much cheaper to get the rim separate by the time you add up the costs. I guess the advantage is you can pick whatever rim you like.
Well if you compare steel wheels + internal beadlocks to wheels with mechanical beadlocks, it's going to be cheaper in most cases I think. Decent steel wheels can be had for around $50-$60. So the whole setup wouldn't cost much more than $250 per wheel. DOT approved beadlocks from Hutchison are over $450 per wheel. So it CAN be cheaper, depending on what rim you pick.

-E
Old 01-15-2007, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unless you are going to air WAY down (single digit numbers) which frankly isn't needed in most terrain, beadlocks are just more weight and cost.

Unless of course, you want it just for looks.

People were off-roading long before beadlock became a common word in the sport and it was rare that you'd have a tire come off. And frankly, that's why we carry a spare.

And you didn't hear it from me, but starter fluid makea a VERY good bead setter in the field. (^_^)

Quick Reply: Beed Lock??